• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Dave Curtis Announces Desire to Retire and Sell Hemlock Canoe Business

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave Curtis, the current owner of Hemlock Canoe Works and the former owner of Curtis Canoe, has contacted me to help publicize his desire to retire and sell the Hemlock Canoe Works business. He and his wife Carol explain their goals in their attached letter, which has all their contact info. Note that Dave and Carol are willing to help train a new owner in all aspects of the business during a transition period.

Hemlock Business Sale letter1024_1.jpg

Please help Dave and Carol distribute this announcement as widely as possible. You may, for example, link this thread to other internet forums or social media sites you participate in, or further distribute Dave and Carol's letter electronically.

Dave Curtis, now in his early 80's, is the last remaining manufacturer of the solo canoes that instituted the "Solo Canoe Revolution" in the U.S. in the 1970's, along with other legends such as Patrick Moore, Mike Galt and Phil Siggelkow. In my opinion, the canoe world will be impoverished if someone doesn't step up to continue the Hemlock Canoe business.

Let's all do what we can to help Dave and Carol get the word out about this business opportunity!

For convenience, the letter from Dave and Carol Curtis is attached to this message as a PDF document. As embedded in my OP, it is a JPEG.

Attachments

• Hemlock Canoe Business Sale letter.pdf
    859.5 KB · Views: 21
I'm not ready for a career change, but I'm curious about how a small manufacturing operation like Hemlock works. Is this a handful of employees in a few small buildings? Shop and warehouse? How many canoes a year is required to keep them going?

A fiberglass canoe manufacture in Virginia, I think Indian River, was up for sale a year or so ago. I think they were bigger, but their business was selling lower quality fiberglass canoes, so they were probably vulnerable the wave of low cost poly canoes.

When I stop in for parts and such, Dave is usually alone working on finishing trim or repairing boats. When I have inadvertently stopped by during a layup, it's Dave, his wife, and one or two other folks helping out. His son-in-law was full-time up until a few years ago but left before the pandemic hit. Besides the shop, he rents a wooden barn about a mile away where he stores finished boats and boats awaiting repair. It is old-school canoe building, no infusion or even wet-bag, but that's kind of the charm. It would be hard for anyone to fill his shoes in an effort to carry on the line, even with his help during a transition. But one can hope....

Brava, Bravo Carol and Dave!

Your contribution to the finest way to travel is unequaled In every aspect. Pure class over defined with endless support and courtesy.

Go get young again and chance life.

Tailwinds…

Dirigo

The Curtis/Hemlock FB group announced yesterday:

"Only five Tuesday Demo Nights left this year and one more on Thursday (8/24) at Mendon Ponds."

I wonder if Dave is still taking orders? There's no way I can afford it right now, but I test paddled an SRT a few weeks ago and was beyond floored by that boat. Some day perhaps...

I hope he has better luck than the long time owner of Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis. This wonderful, well stocked and knowledgeable shop is holding a going out of business sale now because the owner was unable to find a buyer.

I stopped into the shop a couple of days ago to grab some parts and they were laying up a boat. If he does find a buyer the first thing they will have to invest in is a better ventilation system; I was in there for 30 minutes and almost passed out from the fumes.

ventilation system
There may be burdensome and expensive regulatory requirements to actively ventilate certain fumes outside a building in any given town, as opposed to passive natural means through windows, doors and louvers. I've always seen Dave and Carol wear ventilators when laying up a boat.

Dave and Carol Curtis with ventilators.jpg

I was in the shop a few weeks ago while they were laying up a boat, and watched the process start to finish. The two people working directly over the boat were wearing a respirator, and Dave, who was placing the fabric, was not. Dave had the garage door open with a fan blowing across the work area to the back door, as well as a fan at the back door to blow the air out of the building.

He explained that the fumes from the epoxies are heavier than the air and therefore the most dangerous place to breathe would be inside the canoe or near the floor. If he had overhead ventilation, the fumes would be sucked upward toward the ceiling, right through the breathing zone. I agree the system could probably use some upgrades, but then again, he and carol have been doing this for ~45 years and you'd be hard pressed to find two people that appear healthier at their age.

I was in the shop a few weeks ago while they were laying up a boat, and watched the process start to finish. The two people working directly over the boat were wearing a respirator, and Dave, who was placing the fabric, was not. Dave had the garage door open with a fan blowing across the work area to the back door, as well as a fan at the back door to blow the air out of the building.

He explained that the fumes from the epoxies are heavier than the air and therefore the most dangerous place to breathe would be inside the canoe or near the floor. If he had overhead ventilation, the fumes would be sucked upward toward the ceiling, right through the breathing zone. I agree the system could probably use some upgrades, but then again, he and carol have been doing this for ~45 years and you'd be hard pressed to find two people that appear healthier at their age.
I said something to him earlier in the year about it and he claimed immunity from epoxy off-gasses, so maybe he has the right genetics. The pups were always lying on the floor sans respirators while the crew worked, and they seemed to have lived long lives as well. Perhaps my lungs are more sensitive than most, or just unaccustomed to the fumes; I tip my hat to you if you stayed throughout the build without passing out! An upgraded ventilation system, though, should incorporate some scrubbing technology before exhausting to the environment. A potential new owner may not posess Dave's immunity.

Placid boatworks was closed down a few years ago when the state told him he needed better ventilation for his workers. Then the whole shop caught fire and the rebuild solved that problem.

Hi, Dave,

Still have my 1987 Dragonfly! Sold the vagabond to a desrving paddler...

Just heard the news of Bob Man's passing last year. One of our favorite folks when I worked at Canosport, with Ned. Had a nice conversation with his widow, Janet, the other day, and it sounds like she is following the advice he told me he'd given her –– "Have Dave sell my boats!"

OCD as he was, he hired a carpenter/woodworker who could do OCD to build his modular, adjustable and telescoping Unistrut boat racks. Somebody should have those! I live about 20 minutes from Bob and Janet's place on the lake, and could be available for disassembly. I'd be happy to help. (Seven 3 Four) 476-Five 4 5Five. Let me know if I can help.

Back