• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

cutthroat trout

Very nice, I guess your out west, are those large fish for the area or do you consider them normal size?

I'll bring the cold handle frying pan, they sure would look nice in it!

Now for the important stuff, nice canoe, what model is it? Bobs? Looks great in the picture with those fish, just the right color too.

Hey Robin, I`m from eastern Ontario but I`m on Vancouver Island until next summer so Im not really sure how they compare in size. The canoe is a Pal. I enjoy you posts here and on myccr. I think it was you I asked about your black hat in one of your posts. cheers.

Well those are some nice fish, the seat on your canoe says Chestnut but the ribs threw me. My Pal has narrow ribs like my Chum, but I know some Pals have the wider ribs too, like the ribs in the picture. Pals are great all around canoes for sure.

Cutthroats are among the most beautiful of native fish. They are typically easier to catch than most species of trout. They can get big, as in really big. Sierra lakes have a relatively long growing season and lots of nutrients. There are plenty of lakes in a 100 mile radius where the average trout are 14-19 inches. Big trout are those above 5 pounds. Pyramid Lake north of Reno is a special fishery with the infamous Lahontan Cutthroat Trout. The lake record is 42 pounds. Recently some 26-28 pound trout have been caught there. There are getting bigger each year as more fresh water from the Truckee River makes its way to the lake which is the outlet in the desert for Lake Tahoe. Pyramid Lake is completely surrounded by the Paiute Reservation, and the fishery and hatchery is managed by the Tribe. It is well kept secret I do not mind sharing with this group. I like to troll with a power boat. In the winter, the large trout cruise the shallow water and they are often caught with a fly rod. It takes some heavy equipment like 9-10 weight rods and a shooting head to fly fish in the wind. People fish on step ladders to get out of the cold water and improve their long casting. Tight lines.

Back