• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Conk Seats

G

I pulled every open canoe of the racks and inspected the seats. Unsurprisingly nearly every canoe already has some form of “custom” seat, a wide framed webbed or contour Ed’s seat. I am not replacing those, but I found two canoes with either OEM or Ed’s flat wood frame bench seats.

The 2004 Mohawk Odyssey still sports the OEM flat bench seat, and the center-to-center hole/hanger spacing is perfect for the laminated double contour seat Conk provided. My sweet spot seat-depth on the Odyssey had the seat positioned below the aluminum plate hangers, but long ago hung flat, not canted.

With a 1”deflection double contour I can now reposition the seat, front rail below the hangers, back rail atop, for ¾” of forward cant angle and maintain my sweet spot depth, with some cant angle to work in seated position with the foot brace.

PA120011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The big-boy soloized MRC Explorer has a slightly wider center-to-center machine screw and drop spacing, and Conk, bless his foresigntedness, sent me a seat that fit that spacing. The soloized Explored is big-boy canoe and seems like the place for a fat derriere back extension seat. (OK, I know that was not the design intention for that seat, but the soloized Explorer is a big boy fat-arse canoe)

PA120012 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That is, I suspect, a, economical standard webbed width Ed’s Canoe Seat, short framed sideways, installed when I first rebuilt the Explorer 20 years ago. Not a super sized seat, but it was hung for super-sized paddlers, with beefy DIY truss hangers and ¼” machine screws.

Taking out the DIY truss hangers showed that the multiple coats of varnish on the butt ends had held up well, no visible decay despite some years of grunge deposit. Since I need to varnish the cut ends of both new Conk seats and inside the newly drilled holes I can sand some old varnish and recoat the truss hangers.

I like the wider frames, 20” wide instead of 13” on both seats. Anyone sitting on a 13” wide chair? Grab your tape measure and check. No? Well, there’s that to look forward to.

The usual pay attention details; drops marked for left/right and forward orientations to make reinstallation less confusing, all of the hardware stored in a little plastic pipette tip box, so I don’t lose any parts or pieces.

PA180015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

WOW, picking up the old and new Explorer seats to drill new holes was a revelation. The old narrow framed seat seemed heavy in hand. It weighs 2lbs 12oz. The new wide-frame Conk seat weighs 1lb 11oz. Hot dang, the Vermont-era thick RX Explorer actually gets lighter. One canned beer’s worth, but I’ll take it.

Serendipity, that seat, as received, was nearly a perfect fit widthwise, needing just a 1/8” angle sanded off at the stern to accommodate the sheerline taper.

PA180016 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Holes drilled 1/64” wider than hardware, to allow for several coats of pipe cleaner applied varnish inside the holes, and that seat is ready for some sealant.

(BTW, thanks for a needed kick in the butt Conk. I am Scots frugal when it comes to sandpaper and sanding belts. The 1x42 80 grit and 1x30 120 grit belts in the little tabletop sanders were worn baby butt smooth. A couple seconds of getting nowhere sanding those end angles was enough; I finally put on new belts. What a freaking difference)

PA180018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The double-contoured seat for the Mohawk Odyssey was as-received a couple inches wider that needed. Easy cut, drill and end sanded. I believe that the smoother those open grain ends are sanded the less likely they are to attract and hold rot causing dirt, even with multiple coats of sealant.

Cool beans, I now have attractive 3” and 2 ½” laminated ash and butternut drops should I choose to use them as drops on a future rebuild. Not that I would use that style drop, but I have them.

PA180020 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The OEM Mohawk seat weighs 2lbs 3oz. Cut to length the new, wider double contour Conk seat weighs 1lb 7oz. Yeah buddy.

I knew Conk’s seats were elegant and craftsman made. I never knew they were that much lighter. Seriously, if I am rebuilding or soloizing a UL hull (I’m not, yet) it makes no sense to use a heavy bench seat.

With the seats cut, drilled and test fitted I lightly sanded down the old truss drops from the Explorer. Given the rebuild age of that soloized canoe I suspect I used real marine spar varnish. Curious side note; it was the backside of those truss drops, the non-UV exposed side, that had gone the flakiest fugliest.

The open grain butt ends are fine, but some of the varnish on the backside was actually peeling. WTF?

The open-grain tops and bottoms of those truss drops got grunge-debriding sanded. Multiple coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane this go round. I have plenty of socially distanced drying time to spend on these new seat installations.

PA190022 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Five-six coats of spar urethane oughta hold it for another dozen years. It is a lot easier to spend an extra day or two now than to take it all apart in 5 years and refinish.

Five coats of spar urethane was enough for me. Before the seats went in I added the usual keeper straps for seat pads. 10” seat frames, 18” length of webbing, with some doubled-over webbing SS stapled beneath the frame.

PA210001 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

BTW, that little offset 3/8” & 7/16” ratchet in the box on the right is the handiest thing ever for tightening nuts under gunwales and seats.

Getting everything back in when it has been cut, drilled and test fitted was easy. Except. . . . .I stupidly put the canoes in the shop facing in opposite directions, and even more stupidly tried to install the seat in the Mohawk facing in the wrong direction. After some mighty struggles to get two machine screws installed I realized the error of my ways. Yes, there is a distinctly chamfered edge on the front rail. I was sober and everything, just not paying attention.

While I much prefer the wide frame double contour Conk seat to the narrow OEM seat I will give Mohawk some kudos. That canoe is a 2004, has been well used, and the seat unretouched for 16 years; Mohawk did an amazingly smooth sanding and varnish job. And more; the webbing is still taut, the butt ends un-decayed and (I never noticed this before) the edges of the seat frame both front and back are nicely chamfered. That is a much nicer bench seat than a lot of manufacturers provided at the time.

The Conk seat in the Mohawk now looks a bit low even for non-kneeling purposes, and somehow over canted at ¾”. I’ll give it a test paddle or two this way, and if necessary take the seat out, put both seat rail ends atop the L-drops and use a ½” spacer at the stern. The Mohawk came with solid plastic spacers that could be used above or below the plate hanger to raise, lower or cant the seat. A very user friendly solution to customizing the seat position. Those little spacers are now long gone, but easy enough to reproduce.

PA220006 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The custom Fat-arse Seat TM in the soloized Explorer should be perfect. The drops have just a hint of forward cant, about ¼ inch, which has always proven comfy in that big boy boat.

PA220004 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Speaking of comfy, my preferred Therma-Rest pads, starting mostly deflated for better butt contour and stiz-bones connection, fit under the keeper straps nicely, but don’t quite span the new 20” wide frames.

PA220008 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Explorer is really my older son’s canoe, and for inexplicably reasons he doesn’t like the Therma-rest seat pad. He does like using waffled Ridgerest pad, and I have a scrap piece of Ridgerest that is large enough to cut out incorporating that semi-circular Fat-arse back extension.

PA220009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Oh heck yeah, full coverage padding.

PA220011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Therma-rest pad is likewise a bit narrow on the 20” wide Mohawk seat, but we have a couple old non-inflatable DIY’ed “Sit-upons” that are sized perfectly.

PA220013 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I am amazed those DIY sit-upons are still going strong, we made them 30 years ago. Still have one in hull matching red vinyl, not sure where it got off to. Lost in a capsize before the advent of keeper straps?

That all looks might comfy; wide, canted, contour seats, used in combination with a foot brace and knee bumpers, but something is missing. Long ago blown disc, gotta have a back band for some oppositional resistance.

PA220015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

PA220019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I like them. I like them a lot. Especially the semi-circular stern of the “fat boy” seat and pad matching the curve of the back band. I think you are on to something there Conk. Big-boy seats, extra wide, extra deep semi-circular at the rear, extra sturdy. Plus the Explorer feels so much lighter ;-)

I have the real “Conk” seat, multi-laminate frame with chamfered-edge, contoured front rail and flat back rail, waiting in the wings. I’m saving that one for when I find my used unicorn; some 45lb or less composite hull with punctures or tears and rotted wood gunwales for reasonable rebuild money.

16-ish +/- feet, 32-ish inch waterline, shallow vee or shallow arch, likely a tandem to re-rail and soloize.

It’ll happen someday.

Back