• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Color My World

Reaction score
Anyone remember that great belly rubbin' song by Chicago? Well this ain't about that.

I've been tooling around Ontario on vacation the last few years and am often in awe of the beauty. We haven't done a fall colors trip, and it looks like this year will have to be a solo (+1 canine). What rivers in the Superior basin have good stands of broadleaf trees?

The UP of MI and Wisconsin and the drive along MN north shore of Superior. Ontario has boreal forest north of Wawa though there is some color farther south..
Not sure why you ask of rivers. In Sept they all run pretty low.. The Sand I don't believe is ever runnable that late.
My fave is Oct among the hackmatacks ,.. Look evergreen but they are deciduous and shed their needles after turning a stunning gold.

https://www.superiortrails.com/fall-foliage-tour.html
https://www.superiortrails.com/travel-planner/fall-color-lake-superior-circle-tour/

I usually stay home. For color not much beats the Northwoods of Maine. and some rivers being dam controlled are runnable.. But its a crapshoot on the Allagash.. It could be hiking.

That's what I was thinking, I guess Lakes may have to do. I could stand to do Quetico, but a little closer to home would be nice

Maine is on my bucket list, but that's a fur piece from my neck of the woods. Wife would want to go and forever nag me if I went without her. It's on her bucket list too. We plan on sampling color in Vermont, New Hampshire, and other locations on the Northern Canoe Trail, as well as lighthouse stuff on the shore. It just takes time.

You are a lucky man, YC.

No worries BlackFly! I did take a photo class at Naturally Superior Adventures in Wawa.. Prime kayaking and canoe destination. We never were on the water as October is usually a raging stormy sea but that week it was dead calm
What color there had been was done... I think it peaks there about the end of Sept.

Yes it was mean of me to tempt you as Maine is a verry long drive.. And probably unnecessary.. The pix I have seen of the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan are outstanding.. Seems to be all deciduous.. ( I have been there but in the summer)
We have canoed to the Apostles and there are significant hardwood stands there. And unique rock formations.. I recommend it ( Bayfield WI)

You are a fine LADY. Sorry it never occurred to me that you might be a gal. Actually, makes you more interesting. Don't see that many women trippers in my area, especially ones with such experience.

Hackmatack was a new name to me for one of my favorite trees. Tamaracks in Northern Minnesota when I was growing up. They light up the woods after other trees have lost their leaves. Sigrid F. Olson wrote a wonderful chapter in one of his books entitled "SMOKEY GOLD".

Popple is another colorful tree that is found in Michigan... I will leaf it to you to find out what you might know it as. We got some strange names here.

Just aspen for trouble!!

In the mountain west they are called Quakies.
Educated folks call them Populus tremuloides.
Ruffed grouse survive winter by eating their buds.

Back