• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Chuck Box anyone?

I saw kids portaging wannigans in Temagami. Way too much weight for them and they were struggling
I portaged wannigans in Temagami as a kid, and the w/c canoes were even heavier. But those dang canvas tents were never really tied up properly and always wanted to come unfolded as you schlepped them along. THEY were the real gumption trap. :)

The kids were wearing rubber raincoats on a hot humid sunny day. (So they wouldn't be carrying them) one kid was wheezing and blue around the mouth. The counselor said they had given the kid his inhaler.
I was furious They were not drinking water. (Center Falls portage. One of a string of ports. ). The counselor said the kids did not need water. I was studying for medic exams that trip and was portaging textbooks (!)
This was pre PLB days. I managed not to kill the counselor and get the kid to test in the shade sans raincoat and get some water in. No nebulizer around. Humidity and moisture is key to breaking up mucous plugs
Ever since I've looked askance at heavy kitchen kit

Love the wannigan idea. I think I'll give building one a try.
Anyone have a suggestion for thickness of material? 1/2" plywood for outside walls and 1/4" for interior walls?

No Title

1/4 all around! No ned to build them of heavy stuff. I use baltic birch ply, 1/4" thick, I edge glue the box together around the light cedar frame bottom that is cover by 1/4" ply. when the glue is cured, I took some epoxy that I sickened and did some fillets at each meeting corners, so 8 totals, 4 horizontal one at the bottom to side junction, and 4 vertical one at the junction of the sides. When that is all nice and dry, I fitted a lid and handles.... Few coats of varnish and done.

Attachments

• photo2990.jpg
    photo2990.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2989.jpg
    photo2989.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2991.jpg
    photo2991.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2992.jpg
    photo2992.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2993.jpg
    photo2993.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2994.jpg
    photo2994.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2995.jpg
    photo2995.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2996.jpg
    photo2996.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3139.jpg
    photo3139.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3140.jpg
    photo3140.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3141.jpg
    photo3141.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3142.jpg
    photo3142.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3143.jpg
    photo3143.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3156.jpg
    photo3156.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1
I've only seen them built on a canoe form. Pick where you want it to fit in the boat bend three or four ribs. Plank as you would a cedar canvas canoe. Take off the form and varnish. Add a top

Canotrouge, some impressive and inspiring woodworking for sure! Great idea using fiberglass to reinforce joints. I love the photo with the box (and the dog) in the canoe.

Yellowcanoe, bending ribs for a nice wannigan-to-canoe fit sounds great. I'll reserve that idea for subsequent wannigan(s) ;-).

Off to buying building supplies...:cool:

the advantage of a flat bottom box, compare to a form fitting box, is you can use it in any canoe you own or want to use. the other plus is that the bottom never sit in the little water that can be in the boat.

No Title

Can't pass up an opportunity to show off my rudimentary carpentry skills, equaled only by my poor photography and complete inability to tie a knot. The owl was dashed off by my wife in about 30 seconds -- she's the one in the family with talent.

Attachments

• photo4683.jpg
    photo4683.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4684.jpg
    photo4684.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4685.jpg
    photo4685.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 1
I followed a similar pattern in materials and fastening method as Canotrouge this spring as I built a couple boxes. I put a strip of birch at each end (bottom side) and toughened it up with thickened epoxy & fiberglass tape to keep wear to a minimum and no worries about setting a wood box down in a puddle or two.

Mine will see more usage during hard water season with my winter sled. Still detailing the lids and strap/tie down hardware. The grunt factor is noticeable between the 1/4" ply and heftier wood thicknesses and metal fasteners, as with my old box. Additionally, a high temperature silicone bakers sheet was cut to fit the top so that I can put down hot pans and not burn the finish or paint.

That is a good price indeed. Although, I felt so inspired by the guys here making their own, I ran out and got me some 0.41" sanded finished plywood for $30 a sheet of 4x8, and started building my first wannigan. It is a work in progress (see photos), but I intend to finish it tomorrow. I left enough space for a 10" silverware tray and maybe another homemade 10" x 8" x 3" tray for spices, can and bottle opener..etc.

Attachments

• 0604161919.jpg
    0604161919.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 0604161919a.jpg
    0604161919a.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 1
Well done Dagger.

I really need to get the wannigan project to the top of the list. I don't want to build a particularly huge one but I'm hoping I can get my cooking accoutrements as well as my food in it and still be able to carry it. :)

Well done Dagger.

I really need to get the wannigan project to the top of the list. I don't want to build a particularly huge one but I'm hoping I can get my cooking accoutrements as well as my food in it and still be able to carry it. :)

I'm trying that now with my Barrel, I might be on a diet this trip.

I guess ut depends how long you are planning to go for and how many people... I Travel with my wife and daughter most of the time and usually an other family.
So we need a bit more cooking stuff than if I were to go solo. like larger pots, more of everything... But we don't cary a stove, so that is a lot of weight and bulk that we save assuming we would use a 2 burners propane type stove. We do carry a fire box that is quite heavy but really compact!!
I'll make an other waging just for the food.

We're prepping for 6 people, 6 nights and I have most of the common gear. I'm seeing another bag going on this trip.

No Title

OK here it is...
That was so much fun I might just make another one. I already have some ideas what I can improve on. Thanks again guys for all your great suggestions!
In one of the photos you see the cluttered clear plastic box in the background I'll be replacing.

Also, a while back I asked for some advice on wooden gunwale repair on my Wenonah Spirit II, I fixed that too while wood working... :)

Attachments

• photo4702.jpg
    photo4702.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4703.jpg
    photo4703.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4704.jpg
    photo4704.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4705.jpg
    photo4705.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4706.jpg
    photo4706.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4707.jpg
    photo4707.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 1
Nice work all around, the box the gunnel... I suspect you have a bit more woodworking skills than you told us about:cool:...

Back