• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Christine is recovering

Reaction score
She is doing well, I spoke with her shortly ago and she is feeling much better. She will be out of hospital by mid-week and home for at least 6 weeks and there is not much chance she will be tripping at all this year. I can live with that to have her around for the future.

Never saw this coming, she is fit, eats properly, exercises, doesn't smoke or drink much and is only 55. However, there is heart disease in her family so it isn't altogether surprising.

It will certainly be different not sharing trips with her, but hopefully she can live them through me for this Summer.

Karin

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the update.. I've heard of several people having stents put in and they do get back to tripping. Perhaps the tripping could happen this year..something without all the work? Like a base camp outing?

We have two trips planned, one for the last week of June, which she won't make, then the first week of September. The first month she is only allowed to lift 5 pounds, the second month 10 pounds. Day trips might be possible, she is going to ask about fishing trips at some point since we have a lake nearby. I'm sure I can get her on the water in some fashion this Summer. Allot will depend on how well she does with physio and in recovery. Skipping one Summer to be able to trip for years down the road isn't too much to give up really.

Do I see 4 happy, busy hands in the boat shop this summer? Mugs of tea, tunes on the radio, laid back and easy going project plans for some wood and canvas r&r.
Thanks for the update. September is my favourite time to paddle, swim, sit and think...

Thanks for sharing the good news. I agree with Brad; September is a favorite month and this year especially, I think we can be confident that the ice will be melted by then.

Best Wishes, Rob

Good luck to the both of you, especially Christine. Strange as it may sound, some thing work out for the best, often in ways we can't see until viewed in retrospect.
I survived a horrific bicycle-motor vehicle accident in '86...while I was never again the man that I was, believe it or not, it's OK. More than just OK.

I suspect the two of you will have many more years ahead of you to enjoy, and eventually this will all be but a footnote.

Hi Karin, I am glad to hear that Christine is getting better. I hope for the best for you two. The important thing right now , as I see it , is that she has a full recovery. To me close relationships come first.

A couple pictures: The pelican was on the whiteshell river and the eagle was on Crowduck lake.

2009-05-11 at 14-15-59.jpg 2009-06-11 at 15-57-01.jpg

I spent 90 minutes with her this morning and she is doing well. They are moving her out of ICU today and she may be home on Monday.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and concern, I'm sure she will appreciate all the support and will be here reading everything since she will have far too much time on her hands in the coming weeks.

Karin

I had a massive heart attack a few years back, my heart stopped for 2 minutes, I had an emergency angioplasty and spent 6 days in intensive care. A couple of days after my release I was climbing stairs and going for walks. within 2 months I was doing easy hikes, by the third I went on a very easy trip with friends who carried the bulk of my gear- I only carried my clothes. Seven months later I went on a 14km snowshoe bushwhack and slept in a hot tent. within a year I was tripping like nothing had happened!
Before the attack I was "high risk" and never knew it; I smoked 1-1 1/2packs a day, carried around 35lbs of extra weight, had high blood pressure, and my liver produced cholesterol at a prodigious rate.
I've made some changes since then; I got a lighter canoe- 32lbs vs. 65lb, ditched some of my pack weight, cut back on smoking, and started eating healthier. the biggest change was my attitude- I stop and smell the flowers now, and don't take things for granted.
As long as she takes it easy, listens to the doctors, and let her friends help, there is no reason she can't continue to enjoy life and tripping. After all who cares if she needs to triple or even quadruple her portages, as long as she is doing what she loves!

We already double or triple ports, but she will need to learn to cut back on the food barrel weight and go with more dehydrated and leave the whole potatoes home. I might have to build her a lighter stripper since hers now weighs in the upper 50's. With my bad shoulders as well there will be significant changes I'm sure. This has given me more incentive to quit smoking.

She has already complained about having to cut down on Bacon intake!

Today is 14 years since I quit smoking. I put on allot of weight afterwards but then have managed to lose some of it again. Nothing I have done in my life has had as big a benefit as quitting. I still miss certain aspects of it but I will never go back to it. If you quit smoking, it will be tough and it will be one of the best things you can do for your health and the health of everybody around you.
Sounds like Christine is going to make a full and that is great news.

Quitting smoking:

491 days after...

I am 27 lbs heavier.

My blood pressure went from an average of 110/70 to 130/90.

Since then I've eaten better (much more fruits and vegetables daily) and exercise almost 4x as much.

On the plus side -

I feel better. I have more energy. I have less anxiety. I have less instances of heartburn and indigestion.

I still think about smoking once in a great while... but then I remember how awful it made me feel. I also think about the fact that if I started again I'd just be a fatter smoker with higher blood pressure.

Hopefully the other things will equalize out over the years. There is no advantage to smoking - it will ruin everything you love and love to do.

I hope your friend gets better and recovers fully. I guess I missed the post indicating what had happened.

All the best to getting back out into nature,
Mike

Back