• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Restoration of an early Chestnut Bobs Special

Awesome job of documenting your method! Looks like a lot of work but it has to be rewarding.

Also glad that you chose to go back in and get the missed rib. IMO, that's the difference between mere proficiency and craftsmanship. Well done.

Update:

For those who may be following this long saga... I recently caned the new seat frames, installed them along with the center thwart, then canvassed and subsequently filled the canvas with Kirby's canoe filler. Traditional filler requires 6 weeks of cure time, and since my shop is unheated that means the canoe will wait until warmer temperatures in Spring for primer, paint, outwales and brass stem bands.

Ash seat frames caned in the Chestnut 6-step pattern. Before installing I did complete the couching step (the perimeter binder cane over all the holes). tempImagechNkUR.png

Wiping varnish on the outside of all planking. Pre-stretching the canvas in the background.

tempImageNdJuSS.png
Canvas on and mostly fastened; there is about 235# of weight in the canoe to keep it down fully in the canvas envelope:
tempImagefzz89Y.png
Stems overlapped and fastened, note the canvas has been scorched to remove 'fuzzies' and carbon brushed off:
tempImagevma7Az.png
Kirby's filler applied:tempImagecaqTX2.png

Now... we wait until Spring for warmer temperatures to prime, paint, make and install inwales!

Nice job on the seats, what material did you use for canoeing? The canvas looks very good on the stems, nice neat job.

I have never torched a canvas or sealed the outside of a hull, but lots of people do and yours looks great.

Looks great, Patrick. Thanks for the update.

I have been calling this canoe a Ranger as in the 15' iteration of the Chestnut Prospector series. After working so intimately with it I now believe it is a factory-modified Bobs Special or Lightweight canoe.

Patrick, would you like me to change the thread title to Bobs Special?

Thanks all for your comments. Robin, the seats were caned with 3mm Medium cane. These seats are my 4th & 5th seats which I have caned, and it’s remarkable how much faster it goes with each seat! It can be tedious but rewarding at the same time.

Bob, how’s that Peterborough Lightweight project coming? Be sure to share your progress with us!

Glenn, please do change the title. Something like “ Restoration of an early Chestnut Bobs Special” would be more appropriate. Thank you.

Progress report, prior to priming and painting:

Outwale blanks were milled to the correct rabbet to fit the planking and canvas thickness, then steamed to fit. At the ends of the canoe, the outwales were tapered both in height and depth to arrive at a more pleasing appearance than the typical Chestnut outwales which are often left at full thickness at the ends. This early Chestnut had delicately proportioned, full length inwales which I matched with the new Spruce inwales, but the presumably factory installed Ash outwales which were unevenly shaped. In fact, I believe the factory installed one side upside down with the wider dimension on top rather than on the side. The angled cut back ends at the stem bands were also less than symmetrical. I therefore decided to make new outwales, also full length like the originals (Chestnuts often have scarfed 2-piece outwales). The rabbet was tapered back as well in the last 12" so that at the ends one doesn't see the rabbet, but just a 1/2" x 5/8" rectangular profile which was then rounded top and bottom. The outwale shaping was all done by hand with planes, scrapers, rasps, and sandpaper after the outwales were screwed to the hull.

Steaming was time consuming but entertaining, done with the steam-in-the-bag method, in four sequences for each of the four quarters of the hull.

tempImage5J81rk.pngtempImageYmKjrC.pngtempImageObPjjl.pngtempImageWeFsDh.png

I chose to do the outwale shaping while the hull was still at the filler stage so that finish paint wouldn't be damaged by the heat of steaming. While the outwales are off the boat for priming and painting, I made a frame to hold and maintain the hard-won shape of the outwales. This is to avoid spring-back and hopefully allow re-installation on the finished hull with little to no force needed to resume it's finished shape.

tempImagePmWK0W.pngtempImageJEpNQe.png

I can see the finish line ahead for this long project. Paint, stem bands, and varnish remain. Oh, this canoe will be painted Kirby's #13 Blind Green. It will be my first green canoe!

Back