• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Chestnut Model Help

Reaction score
Hi, hope everyone is doing well. I'm hoping someone could help me out with the identification of my Chestnut Model, or point me in the direction of someone that could or a solid site for reference. I've taken what I believe to be important measurements for identification, but let me know if there's something I'm missing. Attached are pictures of all the measurements I've taken, the length is 18 feet long. I really appreciate any input you all have as I've spent countless days trying to find out the model and I'm sure someone can help.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo18755.jpg
    photo18755.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 9
  • photo18758.jpg
    photo18758.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 9
  • photo18759.jpg
    photo18759.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo18760.jpg
    photo18760.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo18761.jpg
    photo18761.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo18762.jpg
    photo18762.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo18763.jpg
    photo18763.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo18764.jpg
    photo18764.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo18765.png
    photo18765.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 8
The 3" wide ribs are a dead giveaway for an Chestnut Ogilvy Special. These were named after famous guides in New Brunswick and were designed for rugged use in shallow, rocky water especially for the historic salmon fishing rivers of New Brunswick.You can read more about this line of canoes at:
https://canoeguybc.wordpress.com/tag/chestnut-ogilvy/

The serial number on the stem piece won't help because Chestnut records haven't survived. But the model type can be inferred from the chart below (scroll down for Ogilvy Special table)
https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builde...-canoe-company

The 18 footer is the "Dave" model. Like many Chesnut models, changes were made to the forms after 1967, and surprisingly, the weight of the canoe got heavier. If your canoe is 95+ pounds it might date from after that era. Before '67 they weighed an average of around 85 lbs.

Looks like the canoe might have been used by some government agency, judging from the additional sticker stuck on the edge of the deck.

Might want to post on the forums of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association for more responses or confirmation...

http://forums.wcha.org/index.php

You might also want document another measurement. Take a plank of wood and lay it on top of the gunnels at the midpoint of the hull. Measure from the bottom edge of the plank to the bottom of the hull for a more accurate measure of the depth. If it is roughly 13.5" (post 1967 measurement) vs 13 (pre 1967 measurement) then you have another rough indicator of time frame.

Maybe also check the decal on the deck. If it says Oromocto, New Brunswick then the model was made after the company moved from Fredericton in 1974.

Thank you so much, after my own research that's the model I was leaning towards, and now you have confirmed it for me. I really appreciate your time.

Thanks again, yes the sticker is Fredericton and I just measured with the plank, it's 13 to the bottom and 13.50 if I include the keel.

Back