• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Chestnut canoe

Reaction score
There is a Chestnut canoe available locally (Fredericton, NB) if anyone is interested. Not mine (yet anyway :) )
Previously owned by a former employee of the Chestnut company (now being sold by his son), fully restored during his retirement and has since passed away. New canvas, one rib replaced, shoe keel and sailing rigging including mast, sail and lee boards. Did not look the sailing kit over too well, may be missing parts as I do not know what was included.

Not positive on the model but she is well rounded on the bottom. Owner double checked for me and states 16'. It looks like a Bobs special but may be a 16 Prospector or Pal with just the one thwart. Likely an Oromocto era canoe so one thwart instead of two is possible.

Stored in a barn and not used after resto.

Great price for a Chestnut ready for the water: $1300 Canadian, but the price is firm

Owner also has lot of cool Chestnut items from the factory... not for sale but nice to see.
She's not listed anywhere but here as yet. If it is of interest to anyone, i can let the owner know.

Attachments

• photo8942.jpg
    photo8942.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8943.jpg
    photo8943.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8944.jpg
    photo8944.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 1
That's a $1052 US, which is an outstanding price for a restored Chestnut with a sailing rig. Long ride, but if he would hold it till spring it would make for a nice trip and some spring trout fishing in Maine. Oh well.

Jamie, do you know if those are narrow ribs? Might be a Pal/Deer.

It does have the narrow ribs Robin. Assuming it is a Pal, the narrow ribs would make it a "deer". In the later years the company had installed narrow ribs on many models.
The canoe is not publically advertised by the owner and he's not in any hurry to sell it. If requested to hold it until spring I'm sure he would not mind.

Last edited:
That's a $1052 US, which is an outstanding price for a restored Chestnut with a sailing rig. Long ride, but if he would hold it till spring it would make for a nice trip and some spring trout fishing in Maine. Oh well.

Give it a shot Robin, I've had two sellers hold boats for me for up to 6 months after I sent my payment. I paid asking price out of fairness.

First I wish I had money right now... Second, I wish I was still in Quebec( not something I wish really often lol)

Give it a shot Robin, I've had two sellers hold boats for me for up to 6 months after I sent my payment. I paid asking price out of fairness.

I have a Pal already, I used it as a solo for 20 years. Now I use the smaller Chum, but the Pal is a great all around wood canvas canoe. Not too heavy and a great tripper.

WCPP

vmr0wUtAODpYZ8wee-eJV2YketjV03gm-y_JtXCTz_xnDCquYKqc52wlAE_RGlW7ALyJ5A8MWiqwprKPeklmT53NIcAXITsFyg4dGZpYPfnkdjI7VxXJ3a1qIPoeAQDxPdskLJ-MsGWXmOTcc6Xn8DaJhnr8OYLX4oktrtEu6Ds0IPe0kuzrkmQRUajYObyLoHzoZnPtOTc8-WDTeS5nzgqENOmGQTqFWEM_24miaiFdy8JiyIZ6Mreip32h1Rd-HqRJpur1829EIA36RHUxfvbRyibI0opQlhBe8nU4wF3MbSfvKSEVNn4MYgOT6VBHEGV_zF7jpc15-prKdclJmgtIByE0uoNzwwDRy7pYtikCxfYw3UlmUPL5AohGr0bPFMFJLsIqvNTDUPyYL2blEfMjfLF5S5Q758Aw3ejanUbavzUIf3YlL6mpxRQLBcXCvF4b7zQJuuJru3BkBVt0vyUPnIjZuGaCE9-rshFZwIiZuvKbgzYYUcjTNfUG6iu64FHs9noP9aOMRv2_l8n62ZEt9kGbL8lfeQZIMMnKf3bRZOsdEFXbWq8_9cHx3HQ6_mc49lG-lx4r42qmvZNRJcdkLdzr4pD6fy1dJlA=w1308-h769-no

Back