• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Canoeing Regrets

Kilt

Site $upporter
Reaction score
I regret never teaching my father to canoe, who lustfully housed my wood canoe for many years. Also regret not teaching my kids more about canoe technique.

I regret never making it to the Barren Lands, but have no other regrets at all. Started in 1960 and have run rivers and paddled lakes all over the West and a few in Michigan and Maryland. Now my balance is not so good and I am selling off the last of the canoes. I have a 15'7" OT Canadienne for sale in kevlar, but I am in Nevada.

I regret never making it to the Barren Lands, but have no other regrets at all. Started in 1960 and have run rivers and paddled lakes all over the West and a few in Michigan and Maryland. Now my balance is not so good and I am selling off the last of the canoes. I have a 15'7" OT Canadienne for sale in kevlar, but I am in Nevada.

Is this the '86 you bought back in 2019? How did the repairs go, and how does it solo? I might be down for a road trip. . . 😃

Last edited:
I used to lament never having paddled in Labrador.
Well we crossed Labrador in an RV and I can say with certainty I don't regret never having done a canoe trip there. Even in September the black flies are brutal; ten times as bad as I have ever seen them in Ontario
Full bug suit and if you try to eat there will be a dozen in that spoonful.
hubby over one day had a ribg of bites six inches wide on the back of his neck. figgure several hundred abd he was only exposed 10 minutes

My one regret would be never learning canoeing from my grandfather. I only learned recently that he was an amazing paddler. He passed away when I was 14, and according to Dad he wasn't doing it anymore. I remember rides up the river in the big old Old Town wood and canvas square stern, with the motor, but I don’t remember ever seeing him really paddling, even the other OT. If I had only known!

I went one year to Keewaydin on Temagami and at 12 was in the youngest section. It was a lot to ask at that age, but I regret not returning the following year(s). At least it planted the canoe bug in me, though it took a while to gestate. And I still think a canoe should be a certain shade of green.

I'm still looking at a decade of good canoe years, but I do regret not getting on yoga and sticking with it during my 30s and 40s. It does absolute wonders for flexibility, stamina, and attitude.

I regret learning the hard way about safety gear. Early on I didn't wear a helmet in whitewater. I took a hard hit in the head. I also had a close call in a cool lake after capsizing without my PFD. I should have followed the basics that are well establish.

I regret not being able to take my dad on one last trip, I grew up every summer until my early teens when the rules were changed about rangers being accompanied by their families on patrols, then life got in the way and before I knew it he was too old and ill to canoe anymore, even as a princess.
what I don't regret was his instilling a love for paddling and the outdoors that still exists to this day.

I regret not being able to canoe this season for a variety of annoying reasons.

I appreciate Kilt allowing me to use his account as a test case for a title I hope to award many of you in about a month. Notice will be posted then, but please save some bucks in the cookie jar in the meantime.

Tryin,
The repairs were very straight forward. I added some fiberglass tape on the stems.
Set up for solo, but I have the original seat frames and thwart.
Just painted it dark green with enamel.
The Candienne is really fast and weighs 48 pounds.

Back