• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Canoecopia Madison, WI, March 10-12, 2017

Reaction score
Canoecopia is an annual event, held 2nd weekend of March. It features over 100 exhibits and over 110 presentations over a 3-day show. Sponsored by Rutabaga, a local Madison store, all merchandise sold is discounted. More information can be found at: www.canoecopia.com . I am not affiliated with the store or the show, but I am one of the presenters. Just thought those in the Midwest would like to know. It's the kind of event folks travel great distances to attend. They have everything for the canoeist and kayaker crowd. I hope to see you there.

If you need a motel, I recommend the Country Inn & Suites in Menona, WI. Call them at: (608) 221-0055 and mention that you want the 'Canoecopia' discount. It will get you in for $115. per night, free wifi, free breakfast bar, free parking, a great deal. I will be staying there.

Rich

Rich,
What are you presenting on? I'll be there the whole time helping man the Sanborn and Merrimack booth.
Greg

Greg,
Where's Pickwick?

Wally 13 and I are presenting, 'Planning a Fishing-based Wilderness Canoe Trip'. He and I have never tripped together, but that will change this year. We are planning a trip in Quetico for late June-early July. We both love to talk fishing. I will post more details soon. Thanks for asking. Hopefully, you can get loose to take it in. I will try to stop at your booth and get acquainted.

Pickwick is just a tiny unincorporated burb 10 miles south of Winona in the bluffs along the river. I will definitely try and make your presentation.

I had intended to go, but they still don't have the presentations posted. It's too expensive for me to stay there for the whole show and I can't pick a day without the schedule. I would tire of the show pretty quickly without the presentations. The last time I went, I had breakfast with Cliff Jacobson. I just happened to be in the restaurant when he came in.

They have had some delays in scheduling the presentations. I don't know the reasons, but it's a huge job trying to coordinate all of the presenters.

Saturday is always the biggest day and seems to offer the most variety in presentations. They are promising to have everything posted by early February. Hope this helps.

I will be doing the breakfast bar at the Country Inn & Suites. When I know what dinner plans have been arranged, I will post them on the forum. One of the best draws for me is connecting with fellow paddlers. I would enjoy meeting you.

Last edited:
I was looking for the best deal on a Pak Canoe and talked to the company about getting one from them at the show. A few months ago he told me they would not be at the show. Apparently they had been violating Wisconsin law by being at the show without the proper vendor permits. So there are probably others which could really throw a wrench in the works for the organisers.

Wisconsin has some pretty strong requirements in that regard. They have to charge and pay sales tax, for example. This requires a lot of paperwork. Of course every business has to decide whether they want to be there based on costs and expenses. Copia has always put the onus on the exhibitors to make sure they are legal. I see that as a different discussion from presentations which aren't selling anything. They don't pay or cover expenses for presenters. I do it for fun and to give back a little of what I've learned over the years.

They may not have to charge sales tax on boats if they are being taken out of state. If I bought one, I am supposed to pay Illinois sales tax on it and they may have a Wisconsin waiver so that I don't get double taxes. It's tricky for big purchases.

well as I look at my calendar I have realized I will be in Alabama from the 4th through the 11th on a fishing trip. Soooo ya'll have fun and let us all know how it went. :(

Yes...:) It is a yearly trip for me and we usually catch enough fish that I bring enough fillets home to have crappie all year long. About 10 of us go down and usually there is some card playing and alcohol consumption as well.

No canoe shows along the west coast I know of, so I'd love to go see the show in WI. I'd likely come home with a new canoe I don't really have the funds for.
Maybe some day when I have the funds. I am already tired of looking at Wenonahs and Old Towns and the occasional Clipper. That's pretty much all I see around here.

No canoe shows along the west coast I know of, so I'd love to go see the show in WI. I'd likely come home with a new canoe I don't really have the funds for.
Maybe some day when I have the funds. I am already tired of looking at Wenonahs and Old Towns and the occasional Clipper. That's pretty much all I see around here.

Yeah, I think it's the last of the big paddlesport shows left. While there are a lot of kayaks there are a good number of canoes there. I know of one canoe manufacturer who hasn't been there that is going this year.
Keep you eyes open too, I have 3 Merrimacks headed to California this spring.

The presentation schedule has been posted.

Also, we have some dinners and social gatherings planned for Friday and Saturday evenings. Details can be found on QuietJourney in Rendezvous Forum. These are for everyone. Just let us know if you want Saturday dinner. Everything else is drop in, come & go. It's a great time to meet new friends and share information. Some who have attended are members here and may post about the great times and stories.
Hoping to meet some of you.

Back