• Happy Premieres of "Captain Kangaroo" and "Mickey Mouse Club" (1955)! 📺

Canoe surfing video

Many years ago a friend and co-worker was getting into whitewater kayaking. He carried his kayak around in a Triumph TR-8 with the boat stuck down into the passenger footwell and extending out back over the trunk (with the top down, of course) but that's another story... Anyway, he went down to the beach in Lavalette, NJ one day to play in the surf, and I met him there. I'd been flatwater canoeing (sometimes using a double paddle) since childhood but had never been in a kayak and was intrigued.

After watching him play for a bit it was my turn. I got in, stretched the spray skirt into place, and headed out. After successfully surfing a couple of waves (great fun) I got caught by a breaker when I was parallel to the beach and rolled completely over. Somewhere in the event I lost hold of the paddle, but the wave passed through and I found myself upright again, not through any or intention on my part.

Apparently I had thrown the paddle into the air as I got turned over, because it fell out of the sky into my hands, whereupon I caught it and just continued paddling as if I'd planned it that way. My friends on the beach were in awe, and I was surprised as they were.

No way I could repeat that, and when the same thing happened again a few minutes later the kayak stayed inverted and I ripped the skirt off and bailed; we collected the kayak and paddle when they washed up on the beach.
 
Back
Top Bottom