• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

​Canoe Sudoku II

G

I have a couple of deal breakers in canoe selection and bottom shape is a big one. I prefer a tripping canoe that I can also comfortably day paddle empty, if only for lake base-camping/layover days, and I know I prefer a shallow arch or shallow vee bottom. I want at least 16 feet long to accommodate big loads below the gunwale line. I want something that can handle moderate wind and wave on a lake and non-whitewater downriver travel equally well (a compromise to be sure).

My favorite big boy tripper . . . . . . .a soloized OT Penobscot with a contour seat place well back of center, custom placed thwarts and the gunwales drawn in an inch +. Those same specs and hull shape done in composite would be my dream tripper, but I haven’t found that hull (at least not used and abused cheap). I’m not even sure what canoe model that is.

Here’s a Sweetfancymoses style Sudoku canoe spec to solve:

Shallow arch or shallow vee bottom
Suitable for paddling while seated, mostly double blading.
16 to16 ½ feet long
32 to 33 inch wide gunwales at center (could be drawn in an inch+ from factory specs during soloization)
Same-ish heavy load waterline or an inch narrower (that’s not gonna change much even with gunwales drawn in)
14 inch center depth +/-
Decent stem height, 20 inches or a bit more
An inch or two of rocker; I don’t care if it is symmetrical or skegged.
Under 50 lbs, and 45 would of course be better.
Oh, yeah, used and abused in need of new gunwales and brightwork, ‘cause A) I’m cheap and B) it is most likely a tandem I will gut and custom soloize rebuild.
Or new if the rich aunt I don’t have suddenly kicks the bucket.

Back