• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe ID

Reaction score
Hello! I’m a newbie here. I bought this 15’ canoe used in 1979 in South Jersey and at that time the wood gunwhales were rotten and needed replacing. I’m thinking the canoe is at least 45 years old but maybe 50+ years or more. I’m restoring it and someone asked me the brand? It’s fiberglass with no identification that I can find. The only features I think that may help identify it is that it has a flat bottom, aluminum band riveted to keel, aluminum deck plates, and wooden seats. Before I apply the final coat of paint I thought I’d make this post to see if anyone has any thoughts on the brand - thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6190.jpeg
    IMG_6190.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6189.jpeg
    IMG_6189.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
Can you find a serial number/HIN anywhere on it, usually near the bow (or stern) and on a plate or stamped, usually on the outside but sometimes on the inside.

Thanks! Yes, I’ve looked everywhere. I read somewhere that “they” only started requiring canoes to be registered with serial numbers some time in the 1970’s. I’m hoping someone may have seen similar deck plates and/or the aluminum band on the keel. It’s a wonderful and stable canoe.

Hello! I’m a newbie here.

KnnyD, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I have no idea what canoe that is, but it's unlikely to have been a major brand. Could be an old department store canoe, such as Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Ward. Very hard to say without a HIN.

Thanks for your input. I didn’t think of that option, which could be a likely possibility. I may be able check some old department store catalogs to see if anything looks similar.

I hate to tell you this but in the 70's there were literally hundreds of cottage- industry builders building this or extremely similar boats, and those trim kits could be bought in almost every marine shop, tripping outfitter, and even hardware stores, far better to look at design components (material, how many layers, and how it was laid up), exact measurements including bow and stern angles, sheerlines, and rise. or look for unique quirks and try to ID it that way.
There's also the possibility that those parts aren't original to the boat, I happen to have a Scott echo with a Swift yoke in it...

I finished my canoe restoration. I used PVC trim board for the inwhales and outwhales. I know it may not be the best material but it was easy to work with and in my budget. It took a few tries doing the babiche weaving with paracord for the seats but I finally figured it out. I used an oil based paint for the inside and outside.

Attachments

• IMG_6299.jpeg
    IMG_6299.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6298.jpeg
    IMG_6298.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 26
Thanks! This was one of the hardest parts, lol. I finally found a website that gave pretty good directions on how to weave the pattern.

Back