• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Canoe Company Model Production list?

G

I appreciate that Mad River has a pdf of the production years of every canoe MRC made. Knowing what years to look is a handy reference when trying to identify a mystery canoe in an old catalog.

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/sites/default/files/Mad River Boat History.pdf

Would that other companies did the same. A Wenonah list would be really helpful, given the number of mystery models that appear for sale used and length of time Wenonah has been in business.

Probably too late for a Sawyer or Bell production list. I would like to know what years Bell produced the Mystic DougD is working on.

Charlie Wilson or Ted Bell

I do not know either gentleman well enough to ask about the Mystic history.

Going through some old Buyers Guides I found a partial answer to the Mystic years of production question. The Mystic was not in the Bell line in 1999. In 2000 it appeared as the Sorcery, that same year apparently rebadged as the Mystic. The Mystic is listed in the Buyers Guides through at least 2003.

I do still have a good contact at Wenonah, and asked if they would consider providing a list of model year production, a la Mad River.

They seem interested, even enthusiastic, we shall see.

I do not want to ask too much too soon, but a section on the Wenonah website of years gone by scanned catalogs, including discontinued models, also a la Mad Rivers archived catalog collection, would be a godsend for used canoe buyers. Wenonah built good stuff, and built to last. So many different J boats no one can keep them all straight.

MCR catalog archives

https://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/customer-service/archived-catalogs

MRCs archived catalog list at one time included their Vermont era canoes, but those valuable links to older MRC models disappeared a few years ago.

I should have printed them out when I had the chance. I did print out the 3 page list of every MRC canoe model ever built, just in case that production year link someday vanishes.

I have a buddy who is interested in my old Bell Mystic. We won a few races with it but now it sits. Does anyone have the specs on it? I know it's 18.5 feet and weighed 53 pounds before Doug patched it.

Strangely enough the folks at WCHA have been very helpful when I've had to get specs on discontinued non-wooden Old Town canoes (i.e. a 1982 Acadia) but I agree, a resource for old Wenonahs would be great.

The folks at the WCHA provided me with information and a PDF of the OT catalog for my 1971 Old Town Sockeye.

Bell Mystics specs
18’ 5” long (or 18’ 6”, depends on the catalog)
Max width 33”, “waterline” 30”
Sheer: 20” bow, 12 ½” center, 16 1/2” stern
Rocker: 2 ¼” bow, 1” stern
6” freeboard burden 970lbs
Weight(s) 37lbs to 48lbs
$1995 to $2240 (in 2003) depending on the layup

Back