• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Canadians doing some wacky portaging

Reaction score
Thought I'd share some vintage photos found on the Library and Archives of Canada site.

a048127-v8.jpg
Portaging a canoe, Northern Ontario.
Source: Canada. Dept. of Interior / Library and Archives Canada / PA-048127

Here's another gentleman complete with suit and tie muscling his way through through deadfall while a companion looks on.
a043440-v8.jpg

Portaging a canoe, District of Patricia, Ont.
Source: Canada. Dept. of Interior / Library and Archives Canada / PA-043440

My favourite of the set is this one. A hardy tripper properly shouldering a canoe while giving a lift to his paddling buddy.
e010859586-v8.jpg

Quebec - Lake Edward district - W.J.S. in canoe.
Source: Canadian National Railways/ Library and Archives Canada / MIKAN no. 3517945

Nice!!! I've transported my canoes like that on occasion, especially solo! But some time I do it with the tripping boat to, but the other way around, I set one gunnel on my shoulder and the other one is up in the air... Mind you never for really long carry!!

I once followed to young women carrying a tandem on the raquette falls carry north of long lake. They had the canoe seats resting on their heads, packs on, and NEVER touched the canoe with their hands all the way after the first steep hill. I was impressed.
Turtle

Wow. Impressive. Portaging in suit and tie with the canoe riding sideways on one shoulder. :eek:

Back