• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Camp footwear

Oh ya, forgot to mention, in Spring or Fall, when the powder is still dusting the pumpkin, we wear our Kapuskasing Dancing Shoes, shown below:

Did you read the topic or my post? The topic was stated as: "What is your in-camp footwear?"

My post clarified that I was responding about: "In camp? When not canoeing? Just walking or sitting around in the woods? In warmer weather?"

The topic is not about what to wear in the canoe. Or on a portage. Or in the house.

I responded to the topic.

What I wear in a canoe or on a portage is a more complex question than what I wear in camp. And it doesn't include my sacred Bean Boots.

Guess not. I am on the computer sporadically these days. I am basically on a bunch of canoe trips. Have a nice time at the computer. I am outa here. The Hillsborough tomorrow.

Maybe I will get to really read next month.

I can't seem to edit. As in the canoe in camp depends on where camp is. On the GreenRiver camp shoes are same as on the water.. Why? Cause I have to stand in the river to pee and don't want to lose my shoes. So I wear wetsuit booties that zip or Chotas if the water is cold.

In the Everglades.. Crocs.. they do a reasonable job of defying sandburs and are comfy.

In the boreal.. my dry pair of water shoes with a sturdy sole to protect against rocks and roots. On Isle Au Haut, regular hiking boots cause we usually spend a couple of days mountain and cliff scrambling

So what was the question again? Are the results meaningful without context?

In the Everglades.. Crocs.. they do a reasonable job of defying sandburs and are comfy.

My Crocs are wearing thin on the bottom. I wore them in the Everglades with an occasional sand spur poking through into my sole.

My DIY platform Teva flip flops were far more puncture resistant. Those are a pair of Teva Mush flip flops on which the foam soles wore to paper thin. I resoled them with minicel exercise flooring, and when that resole also wore thin I glued on the Vibram-like soles from a busted pair of sandals.

[/URL]

It took me a while to learn to walk in them, but after years of getting shorter I’m now back over six feet tall.

Joel’s Crocs were likewise worn thin, so we resoled those as well.

[/URL]

I wear my 11" bean boots all the time. I don't carry extra footwear cause I refuse to give up my tandem wood canvas canoe so I had to cut weight else"wear";), and my legs aren't as pretty as Memaquay's so I need all the coverage (11") I can get when I slip on my shorts (nylon swimming trunks, another weight savings) out on the portage trail

I wear my 11" bean boots all the time. I don't carry extra footwear cause I refuse to give up my tandem wood canvas canoe so I had to cut weight else"wear";), and my legs aren't as pretty as Memaquay's so I need all the coverage (11") I can get when I slip on my shorts (nylon swimming trunks, another weight savings) out on the portage trail

Robin, do you kneel in your canoes or always sit?

On a trip to a Quebec Prov. Park one year, a friend's friend showed up. We never did figure out which friend had invited him, but he evened out the numbers, so we didn't mind. He was an odd fellow though. He came without any gear, only a few survival things stuffed in his pockets. Apparently he liked to "live off the land". Or, in this case, "live off our supplies". Again, we didn't mind too much, he was an amiable fellow. I was also in awe of his boots. I'd never seen Bean boots up to your... These ones : http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3548...s-16&attrValue_0=Brown/Brown&productId=517014
After all these years, Bboots still seem reasonably priced.
In those years I wore old combat boots, liberally smeared with Dubbin. Very comfortable, very durable, but a little heavy.

Last edited:
Back