• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Camera Mount for Canoe

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a clamp on a camera mount for my canoe, something that fixes securely to a thwart. The one I have is too low so you have to clamp it next to the gunwale where it is vulnerable to being clonked. I'd like something taller to look over the prow or when I face it back towards me doesn't look straight up my nostrils! I have seen a couple of flexible neck ones but have found they tend to re-adjust themselves over time any other ideas?

I bought a small ballhead mount from Amazon for something like $10 that had 1/4" female threads in the bottom. Then I drilled holes in a few different positions on my thwarts and used a 1/4" thumbscrew to attach the ballhead. Simple, compact, and easy to take on/off.

My ballhead is relatively tall, probably about 4-5". It actually has two adjustments, the lower simply allows it to tilt back and forth and the upper adjustment is the ballhead. I never used the lower adjustment but the extra height it provided was helpful. Something taller would have been nice but it did better than I thought it might.

I'm using an Olympus TG-4 as well. I picked it up just before my trip. I've been pretty happy with it though after prolonged wetness it did pick up some moisture behind the protective screen in front of the lens. It lived in my pocket the entire trip so on rainy days it would be wet all day and then when it warmed up moisture would start to condense behind the screen. But it always seemed to dry out if I left it outside, particularly in the sun.

Alan

After seeing the THIS VIDEO I made one like. I put two bolts on mine for more options and I use a small ball head on it as well. If you needed it to be taller yet I'm sure you could use some 1/4-20 all thread and have it stick up as tall as you like.

spring%252520clamp%252520mount%252520%2525281%252520of%2525202%252529.jpg spring%252520clamp%252520mount%252520%2525282%252520of%2525202%252529.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm hoping to find something that would be suitable to include in a list of possible Christmas presents that I can subtly leave around the house so, whilst DIY is not ruled out, something over the counter is preferred. Alan's idea go me thinking and I may found something on Ebay. I will let you know how it turns out.

Can anyone recommend a clamp on a camera mount for my canoe, something that fixes securely to a thwart. The one I have is too low so you have to clamp it next to the gunwale where it is vulnerable to being clonked. I'd like something taller to look over the prow or when I face it back towards me doesn't look straight up my nostrils! I have seen a couple of flexible neck ones but have found they tend to re-adjust themselves over time any other ideas?

They are draining down a local reservoir for shore repair. I walked the "new" shore (lake bed) and found a camera mount that sounds just like the one you have now. Some one must have beat me to the camera.

I have a Pedco Ultra Clamp at 4" above the clamp I don't think it is what you want but it is a good versatile clamp and Pedco makes a wide selection. Give them a search and you might find something that will work for you.
Jim

Back