• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Camera Bag

Reaction score
I generally take a small waterproof camera in my PFD, but want to start doing better photos using a super zoom. What do you use to protect your larger camera on a trip? Is it accessible while paddling, or packed away?

Pelican case, at my feet, slightly forward of the seat.

I have a few different sizes because I started with a small point & shoot but moved up over the years to larger cameras.

One thing about those cases.....they are CRAP if you don't actually close them, I've lost two cameras, a number of spare batteries and two packs of smokes because "it's just a tiny riffle up ahead!".

We have used a Pelican Case with great success. I liked the way you could cut compartments to the optimal shape and size. The case is somewhat heavy and unwieldy, though.

We have also used an Ortlieb case with great success, except for the time we didn’t close it properly. Lost a digital Minolta camera.

We take cameras to take pictures that present themselves. We keep the cases right in front of us, not packed away.

Yup, pelican case. In Canada, UK makes a good case too for a reasonable price.

Mem,

That UK camera case you are thinking of is probably an Ortlieb. We have had one since 1993, and have been very satisfied. Not quite as heavy and bulky as a Pelican. We have been happy with both cases. We are down to just one DSLR camera now, and use the Ortlieb. We no longer need all the compartments in the Pelican for our telephoto, wide angle, and close-up lenses. That older equipment (pre-digital) itself was pretty heavy. It now rests comfortably in the closet. Every once in a while I admire all that stuff. Don’t know what to do with it. Hate to just chuck it.

Pelican case for my Canon Sx70 HS yes it is a PITA to unsnap and open sometimes. At home store it open. If you store it locked shut the O ring compresses and eventually will leak. Learned that the hard way.

But it is worth it for close up loon shots.

Thru the years I have carried my cameras in either pouches in my Duluth packs or in a small military surplus bag. I use a good zip lock bag to waterproof them and if the bag looks like it needs replacing on the trip, I switch it out at once. I would wrap the camera in a cotton dish rag to pick up moisture and make sure that the rag gets dried out in camp if needed.

I don't do much moving water so this system works for me. I like the small military bag best as I can wrap the shoulder strap around a gunnel and have the bag at my feet. On a portage I just sling the bag over my shoulder.

I keep my GoPro on my spare beavertail paddle with a bicycle handlebar mount just about the whole trip, works well in and out of the canoe, always at the ready.

Pelican case for my Canon Sx70 HS yes it is a PITA to unsnap and open sometimes. At home store it open. If you store it locked shut the O ring compresses and eventually will leak. Learned that the hard way.

But it is worth it for close up loon shots.

Good advice, yellowcanoe. I have always kept my Pelican case closed! Think I’ll empty its contents, and see if it’s waterproof. And you’re right. It’s sometimes hard to get it open. Is it hard to find replacement O rings?

One thing I'll say for Pelican, good product support. Although o-rings are not covered (2 seconds to replace them) they do cover everything else. The latches on my larger case are very very "tight" (unlike a couple of my small ones), since I'm running moving water much of the time I open and close frequently (except when I get lazy and then pay the price!), I've snapped several latches but a single call to Pelican and they send replacements gratis. All they want it the model and colour, they never ask a question about where or when you bought it and that guarantee truly is lifetime. Replacing the latches is a chore, you need to drill out the old ones.

Last time I needed a replacement I asked for a couple of extras so I could have spares readily on hand, they didn't blink, just asked me how many I would like. My original case which is about 30 years old has never needed a new latch or even an o-ring replacement so the latch issue seems specific to that particular case.

I've seen the Ortlieb cases, they are very nice and have a perhaps better latch system that might be more reliable long term but I've never actually owned one.

In my pelican I case the camera, spare batteries for camera, GoPro, and GPS, also sd cards for all these devices, pack of smokes and lighter and lately a small pipe and pill bottle for "medicine".

I've been using Pelican cases for years. I have 4 different sizes depending on the equipment required and the type of canoe trip we are undertaking. It's nice that everything photo related can be stored and secured in the same space. Like others have mentioned, the case usually resides at my feet or just under my seat so a camera is always nearby when needed. I have had 2 latches wear out over the years, but Pelican has always been good about shipping me a free replacement. Although they can be a bit bulky, when portaging it's easy enough to strap the case onto the top of the food barrel or canoe pack.

Back