• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Building a couple of Wannigans

Pretty cool Robin. I really like using my wanigan, but am thinking on making one out of plywood, I think it would be just as strong as boards, but lighter. I really like how well yours turned out - nice video!

Bob.

Thanks Bob, The plywood has held up well, it's not too heavy until I keep adding useless stuff. I like the looks of some of the pine wood boxes, with the fancy corners, just way above my skill and patience level.

Photo of a couple of wannigans that I made for a paddling buddy.
He strores canoeing/camping gear in them; helps keep gear he always takes consolidated.

Attachments

• photo8792.jpg
    photo8792.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1
Has anyone made a wanigan to match the inside dimensions of their canoe? Such as this one though it seems crude. I had a canoe builder friend who used his wood canvas craft to form a sort of mold to bend the ribs on the inside of the canoe then tack on planking.. I think he made plywood stations. the result was a ribbed canoe portion about a foot and a quarter long that would nest in the canoe.
This is Shaw and Tenneys version
https://www.shawandtenney.com/productdisplay/wanigan

Has anyone made a wanigan to match the inside dimensions of their canoe? Such as this one though it seems crude. I had a canoe builder friend who used his wood canvas craft to form a sort of mold to bend the ribs on the inside of the canoe then tack on planking.. I think he made plywood stations. the result was a ribbed canoe portion about a foot and a quarter long that would nest in the canoe.
This is Shaw and Tenneys version
https://www.shawandtenney.com/productdisplay/wanigan

I thought about it a lot, but to me it defeat the purpose of a container that is easy to organize(round boots corners would be a pain to have stuff stay when you put them), that is light (cause I think that it would end up heavier than the one I made).... They look good.... But I don't think they are as practical as a "traditional" one!

They looks good Joker, and I like the pack basket.

That Shaw and Tenney one is real nice but I would prefer something more traditional looking.

One concern I have about wannigans is the square corners on the bottom. Earlier this fall I dropped a strip boat and it landed on the corner of a planter box causing a 10 inch L shaped hole in the hull. I don't know if I would want to have to take the care needed placing the box in the canoe on a trip with many portages with possible sketchy landings if I was using a canoe with a fragile light weight hull.

I would still like to have one though, and if I make one I will try to round off the bottom corners.

I thought about it a lot, but to me it defeat the purpose of a container that is easy to organize(round boots corners would be a pain to have stuff stay when you put them), that is light (cause I think that it would end up heavier than the one I made).... They look good.... But I don't think they are as practical as a "traditional" one!

Wouldn't interior partitions make stuff stay? Like shaped trays or upright panels of wood... I'd put my hubby on this but we don't have a mold of any of our canoes. Plus it would take about two years.. slow and methodical.

They looks good Joker, and I like the pack basket.

That Shaw and Tenney one is real nice but I would prefer something more traditional looking.

One concern I have about wannigans is the square corners on the bottom. Earlier this fall I dropped a strip boat and it landed on the corner of a planter box causing a 10 inch L shaped hole in the hull. I don't know if I would want to have to take the care needed placing the box in the canoe on a trip with many portages with possible sketchy landings if I was using a canoe with a fragile light weight hull.

I would still like to have one though, and if I make one I will try to round off the bottom corners.

The way I made mine kind of help with that, I made a raised bottom, the box is made of 1/4" baltic birch ply, so pretty sharp corners, so to have those corners up I made a cedar wooden frame that tis half recess into the bottom, and the corners of that frame are well rounded over and being cedar are quite soft... So far so good!

Thanks for the instruction and inspiration Robin. I may give this a try. Those look good!

Last edited:
Wouldn't interior partitions make stuff stay? Like shaped trays or upright panels of wood... I'd put my hubby on this but we don't have a mold of any of our canoes. Plus it would take about two years.. slow and methodical.

They would for sure, but again, add some weight and then become less versatile IMO...

Back