• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Brutal Five Days of Hacking

My day job is Director if IT, IS, and Security. I would not worry about your email password unless it happens to be (have been) the same as your canoetripping password. In that case, you definitely need to change both.

That aside, the least to expect is a bunch of spam. More insidious is the possibility of a phish attack - where a message that appears to be from someone with whom you know or regularly communicate asks for personal information. For example, the attacker could send you a message that would appear to be from the canotripping admin, asking you to follow a link and to enter a new password. As a rule, never follow links that ask for this type of information, even if you believe it to be legitimate. Instead, navigate as you normally would to the link location.

Scratchypants, thank you for your comments. Your stated background certainly makes you qualified to assist us in generally understanding the possible implications of the hack.

What is CourseHero and why is the data posted there? It looks like a legitimate educational site. One website stated: "
CourseHero is a learning website that is based in Redwood City, California and its purpose is to facilitate access to a huge online library for students and educators alike."

Can we demand that the data be taken down? Would that do any good? Presumably, if it is posted at CourseHero, it is available elsewhere on the web? I have much to learn.

I cannot be reminded too many times: Never follow a link in an e-mail or text! The only exception I make is if I initiated the communication, and the email/link arrives immediately afterwards and is for identity verification.

Doug and I plan to be talking later this afternoon and I will follow up here as appropriate.

Last edited:
I can only guess why the content ended up on that site: maybe it's free, anonymous disk space; maybe we're the subject of someone's thesis; who knows? I would certainly recommend that they be contacted about the removal of that content.

I own several Internet domain names and those which are hosted allow me to have an unlimited number of mail forwarders (email address aliases). Whenever I see the potential for a long term relationship - like here on Canoetripping.net, I set-up a site-specific email forwarder: ctnet@mydomainname.com. I make it a point to periodically do a quoted Internet search of my email forwarders to see of there has been a hack and/or if a site has sold my personal information. It was during this search that I discovered the Course Hero nonsense.

I got my first spam addressed to my specific, canoetripping.net email address. Time to ditch it and create another...

It is spoofed to appear to be sent from "payments@bravotv.com" when in actuality the sending server resolves to: "pir.utah-land-auctions.com"

Back