• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Bowron Lakes, Solo - September 2016

Great link. I'll investigate more later, as Winter sets in .

Jim

Absolutely stunning scenery! Thanks canoedog, now I know why it's so highly rated.
I'd heard of Bowron but never realized the portages were so long. The long walks are worth it!

Thanks for the wonderful trip report. You mention gear being weighed a couple of times and I'm wondering what that's all about? Is there a weight limit imposed by the administrators of the area? I've never heard about gear being weighed before someone takes off on a trip. Makes me curious as to what the reasoning is behind it. Let us know if you can. Thanks!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

This is on my bucket list for sure!! I'm also interested on the reason the canoeist gear is weighted and not the kayaker gear!?!?
Great report!

This is on my bucket list for sure!! I'm also interested on the reason the canoeist gear is weighted and not the kayaker gear!?!?
Great report!

My thought was perhaps wear and tear to the portage trails since everyone is using a cart. Not much need to weigh the kayak gear as they can only bring so much anyway. But a 18' tandem can hold a lot of gear weight. Or maybe if they're renting out the portage carts they want to be sure they aren't overloaded and damaged.

I wonder if they're simply weighing the gear for informational purposes or if they're actually restricting the weight?

Alan

My thought was perhaps wear and tear to the portage trails since everyone is using a cart. Not much need to weigh the kayak gear as they can only bring so much anyway. But a 18' tandem can hold a lot of gear weight. Or maybe if they're renting out the portage carts they want to be sure they aren't overloaded and damaged.

I wonder if they're simply weighing the gear for informational purposes or if they're actually restricting the weight?

Alan

My thoughts too... So if you carry every thing, no portage cart can you bring what ever you want?

Having trouble linking to park website for their pre-trip brochure and it's info.

Alan has the gist of it in his post. It's to prevent trail damage although the trails do get rutted and there are many potholes along the way! They don't include any canoe related gear (paddles, canoe weight, cart etc) and you're allowed an axe, tarp, ropes to hang the tarp, water to consume on the trail, first aid kit. Each boat is given a plastic tag to attach for the trip - name date etc plus it shows you did the weigh in if canoeing.

I saw some interesting loads - rubbermaid totes, coolers, coleman stoves both propane and naptha etc. They have designated "wood lots" along the route as well where wood has been felled and bucked into blocks and I saw folks carting wood along with them as well.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/bowron_lk/

My thoughts too... So if you carry every thing, no portage cart can you bring what ever you want?

Yes and if you're doing that there are canoe rests on the long ports to give yourself a break. I ran into folks who did the circuit 18 yrs previously and that's how they did it in those days ;)

Canoedog,
Great report- what dates did you paddle? We just missed you.

My wife and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary on the Circuit September 21st to 30th( last day park was open!)
We entered with only one other couple of paddlers and saw a total on 10 people during our 10 days in the Park...

We rented a 17' Hellman Prospector from Beckers- an adventure in itself that i'm not sure i'd repeat- and carried everything.
To answer some earlier questions: weighing carts is to reduce damage on the portages. There is a 60pound limit and no, if you carry, you don't need to be weighed. We went old school and double portaged everything: the bear lockers really make it easy to leave packs at either end.

And by the way, Kibbee Portage was a muddy rutted mess and carrying was probably easier than carting. Also Isacc River portage is pretty steep and winding- carrying better bet there, too.

Temperatures were just above freezing in the morning- 2 or 3 degrees- rising to high of 15 2 days straight. Fresh snow on the mountains every morning. We had 4 days of overcast/ rain squalls but only a single day of downpour ( which happened to coincide with my wifes Birthday...) We took advantage of those shelters and stoves 3 of those nights...Glacier fed lakes are never particularly warm but after a week, a swim in Unna Lake was a must.
And the side trip to the Cariboo Falls through amazing fields of blueberries was spectacular.

Great trip but I'd do it again in eEarly September or May.

Bruce

Hi Pook, I was out the first week of September and as for rain, it's just been a wet year! Those were the worst ports for sure, almost had my kayak get away on the Isaac River port, managed to get in front and stop it but I did smash one of my cameras that I had in my pocket :mad: May would see some higher waters for sure! I'd probably do it old school next time as well.

Lots of stories about Becker's - not all good either. I went with Bear River Mercantile - great folks.
Save

Last edited:
AHA- first week of September was wet. It had dried up a bit by time we got on circuit but still lots of mud.And the fact that there was no one else around made having the shelters all to ourselves special. Nice to be able to warm up, cook on a wood stove and save gas, too!

Would definitely consider Bear River Mercantile next time.

Cheers!

Back