• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Bog River Flow to Oswagatchie Traverse

Reaction score
Paddled from Low's Lower Dam through the Bog River Flow to Low's Lake and on to the Upper Oswagatchie and down to Inlet. This was the last few days of August but I've just got the video edited up. Many thanks to Robin, Snapper, Seeker and others for sharing info and enthusiasm about the area. The west end of Low's Lake was beautiful and the Upper Oswagatchie was especially nice and worth the 2.2mile+ portage to get there. We encountered many beaver dams but luckily not the 50 we heard about due to rains earlier in the week that allowed us to ride right over without concern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lsg3aMJyo4A

Attachments

• photo8207.jpg
    photo8207.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8208.jpg
    photo8208.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo8209.jpg
    photo8209.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 1
  • photo8210.jpg
    photo8210.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A great trip-I always rush it too much. A week would not be too long. I have also done it as a loop starting in Wannakena and from Lila.

A great trip-I always rush it too much. A week would not be too long. I have also done it as a loop starting in Wannakena and from Lila.

I'd consider entry from Lila next time or just going in and out of Inlet for the Upper Oswagatchie. If I'm ever back I would want to stay 2 days on the upper O section.
Havnt yet explored the Wanakena area so that may well happen next season.

Good trip, I enjoyed that video. Nice fishing and that cookin' em over the fire in the cold handle got me, really nice. My son and I paddled up above High Falls once, we caught little 6" inch fish every cast but we didn't think they where trout, not sure what they where. Chubs? Then we bushwacked to some big pines and found a nice little stainless steel stove for a hot tent hidden in the bushes. We checked it out and put it back with better camouflage.
Thanks for sharing a nice interesting trip. (yellow shoes??):rolleyes:

wanakina is my favorite ADK town. be sure to stop at the pinecone for a beer and burger after you finish. Stone manor up the road in cranberry lake is the best food in the adk for breakfast and lunch. the packbasket lodge in wannikina is a good shuttle source from lila and can be a luxurious place to stay.

Good trip, I enjoyed that video. Nice fishing and that cookin' em over the fire in the cold handle got me, really nice. My son and I paddled up above High Falls once, we caught little 6" inch fish every cast but we didn't think they where trout, not sure what they where. Chubs? Then we bushwacked to some big pines and found a nice little stainless steel stove for a hot tent hidden in the bushes. We checked it out and put it back with better camouflage.
Thanks for sharing a nice interesting trip. (yellow shoes??):rolleyes:

Maybe whitefish or chubbs. It was all trout for us, plenty good eating size, they were delicious with kerry butter and adobo.

Yeah, yellow and crocs. And he wears blue or red shirts that drive me crazy because i like the earth tone color aestetic out in the woods. Have to admit tho I now wear crocs and swear they are the best canoe and portage shoes. In camp I put on rocky goretex socks over wool socks and am comfy as can be. Super light weight also.

wanakina is my favorite ADK town. be sure to stop at the pinecone for a beer and burger after you finish. Stone manor up the road in cranberry lake is the best food in the adk for breakfast and lunch. the packbasket lodge in wannikina is a good shuttle source from lila and can be a luxurious place to stay.

Thanks a lot for the info, will check it out. I paid Raquette River Outfitters to shuttle my car to Inlet so never drove through that way. More to explore!

One nice thing about pack baskets shuttles to the inlet launch is that they won't park your car there till you want them to. In other words, your car gets shuttled from their place in wannakina the day you plan to arrive at the takeout.

Very cool Greenfrog, I paddled the Oz a few times but not the way you did it. One time we paddled up and just below the falls we stopped at the lean to and hiked in app 1 or so to the 5 ponds and camped out at that lean to. Walked an esker over there with Theindian. Great time paddling and boom! Hailstorm! Lot's of fun, good memories with him on another adventure.

David - Great video; only wish I could have heard more of your comments as the music drowned you out a bit. So happy to see the good fishing you had. It's been a few years since I've been up that way but we never had that type of fishing luck. Hopefully the water is becoming better and more able to sustain a breeding population of brookies.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

David - Great video; only wish I could have heard more of your comments as the music drowned you out a bit. So happy to see the good fishing you had. It's been a few years since I've been up that way but we never had that type of fishing luck. Hopefully the water is becoming better and more able to sustain a breeding population of brookies.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

A lot of small trout between the beaver dams at the headwaters but after High Falls the river got kinda muddy and sunlit. We did see a bear swim across just before High Rock!

I really like to capture video and look back on it but definitely could improve quality for viewers..it just takes forever to edit and narrate well.

Thanks for sharing a nice canoe tripping video, I went ahead and subscribed. Now I won't miss any of your excellent adventures.

Back