• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Bloodvein alternatives this summer/fall?

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not giving up on my plan to paddle down and back up the Bloodvein river this summer/fall but with the possibility of low water conditions and fires I figured I should be thinking of a backup just in case.

The easiest and most likely backup plan would be to stick with WCPP and Atikaki. I could go as far down the Bloodvein as water levels warranted and explore the lakes to my heart's content.

Any other ideas out there? I'm not a big whitewater guy but I do prefer rivers, although they get problematic when it comes to shuttles if they don't allow upstream travel or can't be worked into a loop. And late season river travel is always hit and miss with water levels. I was planning on taking at least 30 days to do the Bloodvein so I'm looking for a pretty big trip.

Something fairly remote without the need for shuttle/float plane services is tops on the priority list. I'm not opposed to a crown land trip but it's harder to find info about that so I just don't know what's out there.

Never been to Wabakimi but it looks interesting. WCPP and Wabakimi are both about 14 hours from me (NW Iowa) and I think that's a nice distance. I'd go farther but it would have to be pretty special to justify driving more than 2 days each way.

What are your favorites?

Alan

If you are not adverse to some rough portaging you could use up your 30 days with two or three loop trips on crown land. The Steel river loop immediately comes to mind. The river section is mostly just fast water and a few C1's. The lake side has some very nice scenery and of course, Diablo, one of the most infamous ports around here. If you put in at the top end, I could give you a guided tour for the first hour or two. Last time I did it took me 5 days, but most canoeists average 7 to ten.

Then there is the Marshall Lake Loop, some rough portaging toward the end, but beautiful scenery. I have done it in six days, most folks take 8 to ten days. There are lots of side trips you could do as well to extend that trip.

Another possibility in the same area is to put in on the Ottertail, go down the Ogoki, cross from Kayedon Lake to Kap Lake, then all the way to Terrier...probably 6-8 days.

Then there is the Onaman route that we cut out last summer. Very nice little route probably take six days or so. I could give you a hand with shuttles depending on your timing.

Or you could just burn off ten days and come drink beer and fish with us up Marshall Lake way in August;)

You can easily burn 30 days in either WCPP or Wabakimi. The latter is a little lower and wetter.
http://www.wabakimi.org/maps/routemap.html

for an overview of route coverage.

You best have a plan A and B and C. The fire season could change things very quickly.. We have been chased out of Wabakimi and finished our canoe trip in Quetico..wetter still.

I have a slight bias toward WCPP as its possible to safely leave your car at the Leano Lake Parking lot and staff do make visits to check. As there is no direct vehicle access to Wabakimi, leaving your car on bush roads is possible but no one checks on it and its really not a good idea. There are idle hands looking for mischief there.

Also I am not a big fan of sloppy muskeg. I like drier in old age though some of those WCPP ports are up and down.. Come to think of it Cliff Lake in Wabakimi is in rugged country too. I spent several days going up and down 1000 meters with blowdowns.

Contact Claire in Red Lakeat WCPP and Phil Cotton is your go to person for Wabakimi.

Last edited:
I would think that only the fires would push you off your plan of playing up and down the Bloodvein and Gammon. A lot of rain fell in the area over the weekend and the fire danger in the area was listed as nil in this mornings fire report. Low water levels make the Obukowin portages the best for the western access and those portages are best in a dry year. In WCPP If it stays dry check before heading from Simeon to Dunstan and south to either Royd or Carroll. That route is known to get really low. Larus Creek is listed as a canoe route but the half mile section after it exits the Irvine Loop and heads north is choked with trees and would be worse in low water. The same for the Olive to Thicketwood route. Avoid the route NE from Gammon Lake too. The portages are all clear but the streams are difficult in low water. That still leaves enough routes if you get pushed out of Manitoba.

Not anything like your proposed trip, but if you stay closer to home you could spend as much time as you like doing a Lewis and Clarkian style expedition along the Missouri river. Never any worries about the water flow and there's plenty of places to restock on supplies.

Ok, so here is the water level gauge on the Bloodvein if you don't already have it.. http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/report_e.html?type=realTime&stn=05RB003&prm1=3&prm2=-1

The Manigotagan is also a Ontario bred river and the gauge for that is here... http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/report_e.html?type=realTime&stn=05RA001&prm1=3&prm2=-1

It is a white water river and not being suggested, just the gauge might be useful. You can see the jump in the water level after Saturday nights 2" of rainfall. The Bloodvein gauge likely won't jump until that water gets down to the lake.

Keeping in mind the gauge is at the outflow at Lake Winnipeg but the river itself is very long and begins in Ontario, so if it rains near Red Lake it helps the flow.

The Wanipigow we were on also starts in Ontario but is a smaller volume river and the Broadleaf is really short and does dry up end of season in a typical dry Manitoba Summer. The Bloodvein is a much larger and longer river.

Since this is more directly related to your planned trip, I will include the forest fire mapping here as quick reference, Eastern Region specifically for the Bloodvein. Most of the fires started last weekend are out now. http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/fire/Fire-Maps/

You always have the option of starting at the bottom and going upstream first, then come back. Depending on when you intend to go, we could likely shuttle you to the start which would alleviate the need to leave a vehicle there longer term, something I wouldn't want to do. If you plan to have a device to contact, like a sat phone, an early return could be arranged if need be. Simple version, you drive to our place, we take you up and drop you off, we come get you when needed. Your vehicle stays safe at our place the entire time.

Some things to think about.

Karin

You could take the Bloodvein to the Sasaginnigak river and go to the Sasaginnigak lake and do the Leond exploration route to its' source like I did, or loop around many of the other canoe routes in the area. As far as I know all of them are all open and in good shape. Most of that entire area is true wilderness with the occasional fishing lodge. You could exit via the Sasaginnigak river or the Sakakoneekum portage. As I said earlier, I do not recommend soloing against the current of the Bloodvein. In WCPP the Bloodvein is easy to paddle against the current, but that quickly changes west of Artery. The Sakakoneekum portage is 2 days west of Artery, the Sasaginnigak river is 4 days west, and it is another day from where the Bloodvein meets the Sasaginnigak river to Sasaginnigak lake. The canoe routes in that area are on the Atikaki park map. I found them online, but I used Hap Wilson's book for the Leond route.

I hope it works out for you and am interested in hearing about the trip when it is over. If you have never been in that area, I would also encourage you not to take on too much. Smell the roses and enjoy. The roses were blooming during my trip, so you might have to settle for rose hip tea, (ha, ha) but do take the time to enjoy.

I was in Nopoming PP on the weekend and can confirm water levels rose considerably. 6 hours straight of hard rain and thunderstorms. Glad it was all over because I was wondering if the storm was sort of just circling over our camp.

Some great information and much appreciated.

LF_Tripper and Marten: After reading your trip reports from WCPP and the area it's easy to see why you keep going back. No end to the exploration. Good to hear that even if water levels are low many areas will still be doable.

Mem: The though of doing multiple short trips as a part of a larger trip never occurred to me but it's a neat idea. Would eliminate a lot of the supply problems and allow you to see different areas. Definitely something to keep in mind. Perhaps next year I'll head to your neck of the woods and you can show me some Crown Land gems. I've enjoyed watching you guys plan the Marshal Lake trip and it looks like it should be a great time. Don't know if I can handle that much relaxation though. ;)

Karin: Thanks for the link to the river gauge. That's a nicer link than the one I've been monitoring. Don't know why I couldn't find yours via Google. And thank you very much for the kind offer of shuttle and vehicle storage, much appreciated. That was one of my worries about starting at Lake Winnipeg. I've got good reasons for both launch options but part of my brain seems to be fixated on starting from what it considers the beginning. I'll continue the dialogue with myself and if we (I) get serious about starting at Bloodvein Village I'll get in touch.

I'm not putting too much weight into the current river and rain conditions as I know that things can change a lot from July to the end of August, either for good or bad. Sounds like I should be pretty safe sticking with WCPP but if it quits raining and turns into a tinder box it's nice to have some other options.

Thanks all,

Alan

Ever consider the Bird River system. Accessible by road in MB and looks to be pretty clear route into Ontario, then head north through WCPP to meet the Bloodvein and back into MB. The shuttle costs would be hugely reduced. A float plane from Bloodvein to Bird River would be fairly inexpensive I would guess.

Yes that wouild be a nice trip Red and we could do the shuttle easily on something like that. We have been meaning to drive up to the Bloodvein just to check it out anyway.As long as no new major fires get started it should be ok for this year.

How do you shuttle from Bloodvein, I thought it was air access only.

The past 4 years they have been working to improve the Winter Road into an all season one. At the moment it goes all the way to Bloodvein and they are pushing further to Berens River as well as further. It is a long gravel road with much truck traffic but most of the bridges are built or being built.

http://www.eastsideroadauthority.mb.ca/

The Bird river does look like a nice trip. The more I look at maps the more magical that whole region gets. Unreal the amount of connected waterways up there.

Alan

Manitoba things to know... there is a province wide open fire ban April to November, so, no cooking by fire in rock rings or nice campfires at night. Only in approved fire rings, which exist in some parks like Nopoming along the Bird River route. Approved means a steel fire pit with no open sides. If doing the Bird River, once you move into Ontario it is a different set of rules.

If you fish, barbless hooks only. Not that any manufacturer sells barbless just for us, so take your pliers and pinch the barbs down flat.

Instead of starting at Tulabi you could make your way from Davidson to Bain and then into Snowshoe. Or allegedly there is a route from Trapline to the north-east that connects up to to WCPP. Whether the portages exist or in what condition they would be in is anyone's guess. There is a fishing lodge on Trapline so perhaps they would know more.

Manitoba things to know... there is a province wide open fire ban April to November,

Wow, this I did not know but glad I do now. Is this a normal thing, like a hunting season, or just this year in particular? That will definitely affect what I bring for stoves and cooking gear. I was planning to play it by ear and if the summer turned wet and I didn't have to worry about a fire ban I'd just bring a little alchy stove for backup but if stove cooking will be mandatory once I hit Manitoba I guess I'll need to bring a real stove and plenty fuel.

I'm not much for sitting around a fire at night so no loss there but I'd rather cook over one than carry a stove and fuel.

Alan

This is normal, every year since the big fires of the late 80's and 90's.

Regardless of what the Conservation Authorities say on their websites the forest is tinder dry and if it gets going there is so much fuel on the ground they won't be able to put it out.

Stove and fuel is mandatory in Manitoba.

Back