• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Blackhawk Shadow solo canoe

Shadow and Nighthawk.jpg Blackhawk Shadow 11 foot 7  inch model.jpg Blackhawk Shadow 11 foot 7  inch model.jpg Shadow and Nighthawk.jpg The 12 foot, Blackhawk Shadow is best used by someone in the 125 to 150 pound weight range.
Ideally, in my opinion, it is best used by a paddler sitting on a saddle, or sitting on a portable seat (ala pack boat) in the bilge.
Body weight needs to be kept below the gunwales, and you need to "keep your head in the boat".

It has very little initial stability, and not much secondary stability.
A paddler will few skills will spend about as much time in the water as they do in the boat.
It is somewhat of a challenge to a skilled paddler, until they have some seat time.

I own 2 of them. One is show in garage on sawhorse. Both of themI own are shown hanging in storage shed with a Blackhawk Nighthawk(with saddle)

Joker 1942

Last edited:
The 12 foot, Blackhawk Shadow is best used by someone in the 125 to 150 pound weight range.
Ideally, in my opinion, it is best used by a paddler sitting on a saddle, or sitting on a portable seat (ala pack boat) in the bilge.
Body weight needs to be kept below the gunwales, and you need to "keep your head in the boat".

It has very little initial stability, and not much secondary stability.
A paddler will few skills will spend about as much time in the water as they do in the boat.
It is somewhat of a challenge to a skilled paddler, until they have some seat time.

I own 2 of them. One is show in garage on sawhorse. Both of themI own are shown hanging in storage shed with a Blackhawk Nighthawk(with saddle)

Joker 1942

Don't see the pictures...

Joker you are spot on, had a nighthawk 2 with hung seat, at 160 was overloaded and plowed. looks like you have a proem wondering your thoughts, I think Iam the only one in TX with one.

Years ago it was often found at FreeStyle symposia and the ladies that paddled it ( and the kids) rarely got wet. Its got pretty decent secondary stability for the kneelers.. If you put a pedestal watch the height. Kneeling against the seat seems to allow lower center of gravity.. I don't recall anyone sitting ..

I don't know if the paddlers of TX that I knew are still there. I think there was one that did have a Shadow. That however was 20 years ago around Houston

While I did not post a photo of my Proem; I do own one.
Yellowcanoe made some good points about the Proem.
If you kneel; keep your body centered in the boat, and use the front edge of the seat as a butt brace. Then it is a much friendlier little canoe than if you're sitting atop the seat or a saddle. It is not a fun boat for an under skilled, or heavy weight paddler. Those people usually spend about as much time in the water as they do in the boat.

Be careful that you do not lower the seat too much (to gain just a little stability). You may end up having trouble getting your feet under the seat, or more importantly; getting your feet tangled in the seat & end up getting dragged downstream by the boat & river current. No fun!

Joker 42

Back