• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Big Waves

Reaction score
The first mate and I donned our most colorful PFDs Saturday and hit a local all-sports lake. Many big boats fueled by gasoline with skippers fueled by beer out there. At times we didn't know which wake to turn into first. This exercise makes us a little more comfortable hitting the bigger lakes during our upcoming trip to Quetico which seems to be getting windier every time we go.

That's what turned my ex off to lake paddling and we only had single boats to deal with.

We've got camp boats. No alcohol involved but a ballasted Master Craft wakeboard boat can easily spawn three feet tall waves. Add four of those boats on a narrow lake and lots more plain ski boats and it's a miracle any loon chicks survive

Your exact experience is why I'm considering taking my grandsons to a motor less lake for their first Adirondack trip in a couple of weeks. Too many wakes from various directions can be a real PITA. I've dealt with that on Lake George at an event I attend in early October and it's not pleasant :mad:

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

My last solo trip I was camping in what is supposed to be quiet/no-wake zone, and 95% of the fishing boats I encountered over several days completely ignored that as they zoomed to and from their fishing spots. Most of them would at least slow down a bit as they approached me, but I nearly got run over twice.

Last edited:
We just had a guy drown up here when a motorboat swamped his canoe. Supposedly he just sunk when his inlfatable pfd didn't work. I'm guessing he was wearing a sidearm and that's why he went down so fast.

We've got camp boats. No alcohol involved but a ballasted Master Craft wakeboard boat can easily spawn three feet tall waves. Add four of those boats on a narrow lake and lots more plain ski boats and it's a miracle any loon chicks survive

I was out on the local lake in my solo canoe earlier this year and one of those wake boats passed at a distance. It was going the right direction for me, and I was able to surf that wake for a bit. No, those wakes don't bother me, but the waves make it clear into the "no wake" zones, which include dock areas. It's a no motor lake during most of the waterfowl nesting season, fortunately.

In Maine you must make no wake within 200 feet of shore but waves made in the middle do a lot of damage to our dock system . We and six neighbors share a 14 section dock (floater) so there are lots of joints
All shoreowners are getting fed up with overpowered boats

we have a number of popular lakes around here that are very popular water skiing and wake boarding places too. No sane paddler should be anywhere on the water saturday or sunday afternoons when traffic is highest. The boat wakes and the reflections off the shoreline and sea walls make for very sporty and dangerous conditions...

Power boat wakes are good practice for rougher conditions. I thought we were ready for salt water paddling sea kayaks up in the San Juan Islands of Washington. In the first hour the State Ferry came by. The wake is around 5 feet but not that steep. Then the ship traffic shows, tugs towing barges. The tidal rips appear out of nowhere. Anyone can get surprised in the salt water and on big lakes. Dress for immersion, wear a PFD and keep practicing.

Sooner or later you are going to be caught in some big waves. Practice in favorable conditions like warmer water near shore. Practice rescues. Learn to trim the boat for wind. Quartering waves helps. Chose your route to fit the waves.

Last edited:
Back