• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Best nonfiction books of 2017

G

It is once again my favorite time of year for a nonfiction reader, when the Washington Post and NY Times cover the best books of 2017.

These are all from the WaPo Best Books list of November 19.

Blood in the Water. The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy (Heather Ann Thompson). 2017 Pulitzer Prize winner.

I Was Told to Come Alone. My Blind Journey Behind the Lines of Jihad (Souad Mekhennet).Top ten books of 2017.

American Fire. Love, Arson, and Life in a Vanishing Land (Monica Hesse). Recommended by a reader friend . Also listed on 50 notable works ofnonfiction 2017.

Cuz. The Life and Times of Michael A. (Danielle Allen). 50 notable works of nonfiction 2017.

He Calls Me by Lightening. The Life and Times of Caliph Washington and the Forgotten Saga of Jim Crow, Southern Justice and the Death Penalty. (S. Jonathan Bass) 50 notable works of nonfiction 2017.

Hue 1968. A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam (Mark Bowden) 50 notable works of nonfiction 2017.

Janesville. An American Story (Amy Goldstein). 50 notable works of nonfiction 2017.

The Vaccine Race. Science, Politics, and the Human Costs of Defeating Disease. (Meredith Wadman). Not for everyone, but I spent 35 years in the company of notables in that field, and want to see how they are portrayed.

The Waters Will Come. Rising Seas, Sinking Cities and the Remaking of the Civilized World (Jeff Goodell). I want a hard copy of that.

Jefferson. Architect of American Liberty (John Boles). Quote, Perhaps the finest one volume biography of an American president. I want a hard copy of that one too.

Well, bull feathers! I'm about half way through John Meacham's "Thomas Jefferson, The Art of Power," which was on last year's WP list of 50 notables, and characterized as probably the best single-volume biography of Jefferson ever written." I guess I should throw it away and start on Boles' book!

Thanks for posting the note. I like to pick a few of that list. And please note the liberal use of quotes and apostrophes.