• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

baking without gizmos

I'm always up for another food video ! Now I'm in the mood for desert !
Thanks !

Jim

He's basically doing a dutch oven technic, that is what we do all year around camping, and actually that is how I bake bread at home!! Well done!

Youtube is awsome :- )

We've done the steam bake in the cook pot thing. With so many boxed bread, cake and muffin mixs on the self it makes it pretty easy.

IME you get kind of soggy bread, he could drop the licence plate table and save enough weight to use a real aluminum DO :- ) The way we do it backpacking is just use heavy foil, prepare mix on the dryside, make little loaf, wrap in foil, pull some coals ro the side and put right on the coals, flipping frequently. Makes a nice, non soggy, crusty loaf that doesn't use pot space that should have a main entre cooking in it :- )

I used the small individually packed packages of Bisquick biscuit mix last trip. They worked great, first pack I mixed in a bowl, but the foil packing envelope turned out to be big enough to mix them in :- ) It's more expensinsive ($1 a pack) than buying a big box and repacking, but it includes the milk and egg in each pack so it really is 'only add water'. They are also flavored, if that matters to you.
When I do bulk bisquick, I just flavour to suit, need Italian? add garlic, season mix, a pulled apart cheese stick and so it goes for whatever theme haha

Krusteaz makes a 'flat bread' mix that works good in foil or DO. Krusteaz has a lot of options for baking too and my wife likes them because the have nothing to do with Monsanto and thier GMO lunacy.

Im making chicken enchiladas in the home test fire pit tonight :- ) My wife thought his casserole looked good so we are going to come up with a recipes that suits the 10" aluminum dutch oven and durable ingredients, foil packed chicken, dehydrated oinions peppers ect :- )

Last edited:
I did bake packer steaming once. I haven't steamed in20 years. I use my pot like an ouback oven with the diffuser helping avoid hot spots and scorching
You don't have to have a fire though you certainly can
Except in the all to often scenario of fire bans. Like there are in some places now

During fire ban up here we are allowed to use double bottom fire box. It make our life easier for sure. but I have to say that I was a bit surprised when they told us we were allowed to use them. We are really careful of where we do our fires even when using the box.

Here's my GSI 10" anodized aluminum dutch oven. Acually that 10 inches is measured at the outside of the handles and it's about 3 1/2 inches deep, no legs, it's made to nest in a 12" GSI aluminum dutch oven, so it get's set it on on divet. It's really pretty small and weigh's 2.6 lbs. The anodizing is awsome, no oil in the oven and those biscuits just slid right out, sausage gravy no problem :- )

san juan 028 rs.jpg

san juan 029 rs.jpg
My wife makes fun of my mini coffee press (swap meet find), but I'm not going to live like a savage out there :- )

No Title

On "heavy" trips, I have an old kidney-shaped German mess kit (2.5L, vs my normal backpacking 1.1 or 1.8l pots). It has a small pan that fits into the top, shaped like the lid, but smaller. The pot is large enough to lay sideways in the coals, making a decent oven for a single serving of something baked. The curved edge minimizes contact with the pan.

Attachments

• photo4342.jpg
    photo4342.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4343.jpg
    photo4343.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4344.jpg
    photo4344.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 0
That's clever Seeker.

I've got a similar mess kit, it came with a Tangia alcohol stove, fuel bottle and a wind shield/stand for the big container, but I think it's Swede. It has a lid with handle, but not the small container you bake in.

I used to keep it in the bench seat storage of my drift boat in MT for hot drinks and simple chow when we were spring and fall float fishing.

I never thought to try and bake with it :- )

Back