• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Bailers and Onboard Storage

Reaction score
I need a new bailer. I’m using a coffee can, but the handle doesn’t fit my hand very well so I’m not confident with it. Please show me yours and how it’s stowed.

Hey Black_Fly, there was a recent related thread.

My bailing scope is clipped to my crash bag.

Black Fly,

Kathleen and I use a bleach bottle with the bottom cut off. I think you know what that looks like. No picture needed. On on our wilderness canoe trips, i just stuff it under the gear in front of my stern position. We always trip with a spray deck, so rarely take on water that needs bailing. Once, on the Coppermine River in 1995, in a serious rapid, our spray skirts blew off the pvc piping on the spray deck. We took on a lot of water. We managed to hit an eddy in mid-rapid, and bailed. So we have used the bailer once in the last 33 years. I don’t think I really need to take one, but it’s a rule.

I have a paint cup and absorbent towel on a carabiner/paracord connection hanging on my seat. I don’t paddle any serious white water.

IMG_9069.jpegIMG_9070.jpeg

Bob

Also use a bleach bottle with the bottom of the bottle cut off. Tie a string (para cord) around the built in handle of the bottle and the other end to my seat. I just kick it under me. If I need it real quick I just grab for the string.

I also use a bleach jug (small size) with the end cut off on a slight angle. It fits into the bilge area nicely. It’s durable and free (after the bleach is used up). I tie a lanyard of paracord to it that I attach to slotted gunnel or clip on inwale. It’s always handy and does double duty as a small bucket for filling my gravity filter at end of day.

I use a small vinegar jug (1l/qt) with the bottom cut off and the lid glued on, it was sprayed red for visibility decades ago before they created paints for poly, now it looks like some sort of bizarre martian camo, It attaches with a 3' piece of very light cord and a breakaway cable tie (in case of entanglement) to my seat frame, and is the perfect size to get down into the bilges when used on the flat, or up into the stems when turned on end, it's size is also perfect for holding my big car wash sponge.
minimium bailer size here by law is 750 ml (3/4qt)and this still holds a full litre thanks to the headspace left by the mfr.

Back