• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Bacon in the boat

Hi Bird, Something kinda like that happened to me over on a dog training site. A nice lady wrote in about her sweet gentle dog, who with the least provocation would start barking and not hush. I wasn't impressed with the advice she'd gotten so far and in some detail I lined out what I'd do to get it under control. Nothing brutal but darn sure effective.
One of the site monitors or what ever their called, checked me on the advice and pointed out that it was probably fine for the dog in question but somebody with a pit bull, trying it might lead to stitches. For the first time, the idea crossed my pea brain that there were a whole bunch of people that I didn't know nothing about, reading what I wrote and I didn't have a clue just what they might do with my words. I rather doubt that I'd be libel, but still and all I decided to quit the site, just too many wild cards.
It's a world worth being careful of.

Best Wishes, Rob

I'll be more careful in the future... but it may be kind of dry :(

Hey Bird, I get your humour, and appreciate it. Don't worry. My panicky ps post was directed to any newbies who might not get it. I've seen too much trash in all the wrong places. I bet you have too. I hope we all have a little eco Nazi in us. Maybe that's not the best way of saying that. A green conscience? Yeah. Maybe that's better. Anyway, speaking of bacon grease...
My late father-in-law enjoyed "the full English breakfast" from time to time. My late mother-in-law thought it "jolly good" too. My wife likes it, although she can't face blood sausage. She does like frying bread in the leftover bacon grease, and frying up tomatoes in it too! So...there is an alternative to disposing of all that lovely bacon fat...eating it. Yuck. Not me, thank you very much. I can't criticize my English in-laws too much though. I love (smoked mackerel) kippers. Try getting that smoky smell outta the house on a Sunday morning. Eggs, bacon, kippers and coffee. Heavenly breakfast.

ps I drove by a burger shack yesterday. It listed : Hamburger, Cheeseburger, and Pickerel Burger. I didn't know whether to be foodie offended or intrigued.

I think the English breakfast is for tourists. After two of those in two days in Great Britain I figured the locals can't eat that every day The methane output from just one if those is immense; imagine from a whole nation!

Good thing this guy isn't around when I canoe trip, he'd probably punch me all the way to Mars, after I burn my bacon grease and throw a bit of plastic in as well.

Hey L’oiseau, thanks for the clarification! :)

Nothing wrong with burning fat and food wastes in the fire either - just as long as its totally burned up. A hot sustained fire will totally oxidize bacon fat. So tending one’s fire to ensure its all burned is an important skill and practice. Having a big post-cooking fire will also burn up all the bits of grease splattered around the fire rocks. Cleanse with fire! I am sure many of us have come upon campsites with partially burned food, which is inconsiderate for those who come after one. (I burn plastic bags too, guilt free)..

For some dense carby foods like bannocks and pasta, etc, it can be quite hard to burn, since in my experience it tends to carbonize on the outside which forms a shell. One has to really crank up the BTU’s to get those partially burned food blobs to fully burn to ash, especially when they are water laden. I recall as a kid down south on one of my first solo trips a long time ago, partially burning some food in the fire, then going to bed, and having to deal with a midnight raid from a raccoon gang that tore up the pit to get at it. What a racket and a mess! I made sure after that event never to leave unburned food again.

One of the tripping styles I preach is always thinking about the folks to follow in our tracks, and leaving the campsite clean and with as little wear and tear as possible, a wood supply for the next camper, tent rocks piled to the side off the soft feathermoss bed, etc. That also includes practices like minimizing my impact for leaving bear and other critter attractants. Never feeding the chipmunks and squirrels like you mentioned is part of that practice. A fed squirrel or chippy who is no longer afraid of people will lose no time in chewing through packs.

I do my part to do trip route maintenance, such as trimming blowdown off portages and tent areas, and treating campsites as sacred ground. Sacred ground for sure. Campsites in the rugged, densely vegetated Canadian Shield country are a rare feature where its flat and clear enough for some tents, clear water, and a landing. They are major values to be cherished, protected, and maintained.

By all means cook fish, bacon, whatever. I do. I only ask that folks be careful and considerate about how they do this, and always think about the next people to use the site. I have come across campsites where all the fish guts were dumped out front in the swimming and drinking water gathering area, and some had washed up on shore or been dragged up by the gulls. Human waste only a few feet from tent pads, etc. Its disgusting. Garbage, etc. We have all seen the spoiled sites. Its a crime against sacred ground. That next person might be an impressionable young person on their first trip, and a good camping experience on “your” site, may change their lives forever. If we never train up bears to visit sites and get a food reward, we help those who follow.

In science we always say we stand on the shoulders of giants. In canoe tripping, we stand on the shoulders of our ancestors who found the way, cut the trails, made the campsites, made the maps, and passed on their skills and knowledge to the next generations.

P.S. Non-phosphate soaps and detergents are not bad at all. They are good. They don’t have the limiting macro nutrients (NPK). They are truly bio-degradable, and before they are eaten by bacteria they are not toxic either since they disperse immediately in lake water. UV and bacteria make quick work of it. Canoe trippers in big lakes and rivers have no effect washing with tiny amounts of weak detergents like Campsuds. The urban myth that bacteria do not live in water and eat Campsuds is also kind of bizarre. Think about your septic tanks and local sewage treatments plants – its all aqueous! Soil bacteria actually live in films of water also..... In tiny mountain streams where all folks down steam get their drinking water, then yes keep it out because the volume is so small. But in big lake and river systems, its not a pollutant because the system actually deals with it, just like it does with all the dead leaves, pollen, animal poop, fish poop, dead fish (old fish go to die in the water, except when they are caught by predators and hauled up on land and later pooped out there. But then it rains.....:)

Last edited:
I guess on the bacon front what I want to know is what the shelf life of the hot smoke vs the cold smoke bacon is? Obviously the hot smoke is precooked. I can get that readily at the German market Ducttape mentioned.
The only thing I don't like about handling meat is getting fat on my hands. I'm not worried about germs but it's quite hard to remove with just water.

My understanding for dry-cure bacon is months... Not sure the difference between hot and cold smoke... to me, it's more wet/dry.

Fat on the hands... paper towels (easily burned) are easy to carry... 2-3 (or whatever you ration) per day, folded in quarters, tucked in a plastic bag... worth their weight in gold... that's also why god invented that area on your pants below the knees (for wiping hands).

My jury is still out on bears and critters... I practice good campsite hygiene, food bagging, etc... but i remain puzzled by an incident that happened at the shelter on St Regis Pond... found a bottle of grape jelly on a shelf there, apparently at least a few days old from the trail registers at each end of the trip (I saw one canoe in 4 days)... yet it was untouched by bear, mouse, rat, or chipmunk... why? is Welch's Grape Jelly so artificial it's not attractive to animals? not sure... and that bothers me a little... maybe we worry too much about things like that...

I still carry a mesh baggie of doghair in a ziplock bag and hang it with my food box... no bears in the camp since i started doing that.

I'm not so puzzled. If a bear were not starving,, why would it seek grape jelly? Curious bears who never see people are one thing, but bears whose gene pool includes human encounters might want to stick with berries and fish and grubs.

Something safe.. like the Sunday evening garbage cans where they know they wont be challenged.

Seeker maybe we humans should eat as bears do. I can see it now.. the Dr. Oz Bear Diet. Lower your standards to garbage and birdseed only when necessary.

What you do IMO is not as important as what the 33 fishermen did at your site prior to your arrival..;)

Sorry the bacon is the subject.. Hot vs cold smoked. I am leery of cold smoked. This article might help

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html

You're killing me with this pork kindness. After a long hard day at work, I came home to..."quinoa and vegetable surprise". I have no idea what the surprise was. I suppose the surprise might've been the hot hits of hot chillies from our garden, but I don't know...I'll find out tomorrow morning.
I don't know much about the world of bacon. But I do know that hot smoked kippers (smoked mackerel) are cooked in the hot smoking process and ready to eat, unlike the cold smoked variety. I don't know if this relates to bacon.

You're killing me with this pork kindness. After a long hard day at work, I came home to..."quinoa and vegetable surprise". I have no idea what the surprise was. I suppose the surprise might've been the hot hits of hot chillies from our garden, but I don't know...I'll find out tomorrow morning.
I don't know much about the world of bacon. But I do know that hot smoked kippers (smoked mackerel) are cooked in the hot smoking process and ready to eat, unlike the cold smoked variety. I don't know if this relates to bacon.

Please be kind. She loves you. You just both have to go to a pig farm.. Kippers are a first step. be kind.
Love porky. Yes I do feel for you" quinoa and vegetable surprise" would send my hubby of 45 years to the woodshed.

Please be kind. She loves you. You just both have to go to a pig farm.. Kippers are a first step. be kind.
Love porky. Yes I do feel for you" quinoa and vegetable surprise" would send my hubby of 45 years to the woodshed.
We're due to pick up a farm order from family members. Over the years we've picked up everything from beef, turkey and chicken (and two barn cats)...and yes pork in the past. Our past pork orders were "Half a pig? How about as much bacon as you can pack. Er, maybe a ham or two." We would quickly eat our way through the bacon, then the ham steaks and slow down to a foodie crawl by the time we hit the pork roasts. Porknography indeed. We hit the porky wall by the time we ate ourselves down to hocks and trotters. Foodie fatigue? No pig orders since. This time around it's organic turkey and chicken. With any luck the chicken will taste like bacon, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way it works.
Yes she loves me, and I adore her. But, she hates most fish (especially kippers) and I'm struggling with grains and legumes. We often meet in the middle around fun and adventurous meals, but the most fun middle ground is on Sunday mornings...over coffee, eggs, and bacon.

ps I helped catch and feed the last order of piglets---> pigs. They're delightful animals. I'd make a lousy pig or cattle farmer. I'd wind up with a farmyard full of pets, and living off ...quinoa. Surprise!

I've noticed the same thing at the Fish Pond north lean to this year. Tons of food left on the shelf, but no animals except a mouse who lived in the lean to. He/she seemed to prefer the Irish Spring soap (yes, we watched it go back and eat it many times).

If you happen to make the trek out to Fish Pond, please remember to bring an offering of Irish Spring to the mice who have been stewarding that lean to for god knows how long.

I was actually a pig farmer for about three years, so I know a thing or two about porkers. They are delightful critters when they are babies and weiners ( the technical term for little piggies when they are weined from their moms and put in the big pens, althoug ironic, as many end up being turned into weiners), not so delightful when they are 250 pounds and you have to move 25 of them on shipping day.

Anyway, the one thing I have found with the triple cold smoked bacon, or whatever they call it, is that the life of the bacon can be prolonged well past it's prime with some handy butchering. Now this won't be for everyone, and it will probably gross some of you out, but the big slabs start to go bad from the outside. Some careful butchering af the slab as time unfolds will give one a fresh, tasty piece for a long time.

Dry cured pork.
There's a large Italian community near here where we used to live and work. It was only a matter of time before I'd get a more intimate look into their lives. I wound up getting hired by an Italian immigrant starting a new life for him and his wife. That was nearly 30 years ago. Through several years he infused my days with the better life. "Don't drink cafe after breakfast. It'sa no good. Anyway, that's not cafe. Italian espresso is the only good cafe." "You call that a sandwich? Here. My wife make my sandwich, see? Now this a real sandwich!" I got past the arrogance and started to see the passion - for food and life. Eventually he invited me and my wife to dinner. His wife Rosa was cooking from recipes handed down to her through several generations. She was from some coastal Italian town somewhere, where seafood was king; and she certainly cooked like a queen. It was an incredible meal. While we ate she remembered the sights and sounds and smells of her beloved village. Later he took me downstairs to show off his wine cellar. Naturally he made his own wine. "You grow your own food, you make your own wine. That's Italia. That's the best." Finally he led me to the back of a musty smelling cold room, where he kept his prize. Hanging from the ceiling was a large joint of pig. It was a dry cured ham he'd been carefully babysitting for many weeks. I was pretty certain I could see some funny fuzzy bits, but he brushed off my nervousness. "No! It'sa good. See?" He whipped out a knife and gently scraped off the suspicious part before slicing off thin wafers of cured pork heaven. He opened another bottle of vino and poured two glasses; he passed some proscuitto slices to me and we toasted Italy. I remember him every time I reach for some antipasti and a glass of red. He's long since retired and he and Rosa spend their winters in Florida. I like that.
We've adopted many recipes from many places and cultures. As far as Italia goes, I make my own pasta, sauces, pesto, roast peppers... and try out recipes. Only baby steps I know. What I'd really love to do is make my own vino, and have my very own proscuitto ham curing in my basement. That'll never happen. sigh

Last edited:
A few things I've done in the past are:
1. smoked salmon eaten anyway
2. beef vegetable soup made with unsalted dehydrated vegetables, beef jerky and ramen noodles
3. Any cured meats such as salami, prosciutto and even true virginia ham.

Also, cured meats, if vacuum packed, take a long time to degrade. Oxygen is what really makes food spoil rapidly. If you can keep the air away, many foods will fair very well without refrigeration. Your nose will tell you if it's still good with most foods. Also, half cooking before packing, or par baking bacon, will render the fat away and make it keep longer. Moisture and air are the enemy.

strictly off topic:
Why are there no bacon scented perfumes or colognes?
It seems to me there are unfound fortunes awaiting the right company...

Back