• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Audio recording

Reaction score
One thing I notice with picture slide shows and film footages is there's almost always some music but not always sound. It's definitely an issue with GoPro when they are sealed in the waterproof housing. In the other housings they may be ok. But what about at night?

On a solo trip a few years ago I was camped on Little Beartrack lake just South of Lac La Croix. There's only one site and the lake topography makes it a natural ampitheater. After turning in and laying in the tent I was treated to a fantastic orchestration of loons and other feathery birds just belting it out for what seemed like 15 minutes. It was one of the best experiences ever out there.

So I'm going to take an audio recorder of some sort on my next trip but haven't kept up with them. I'll have my camera which has great audio, but I don't want to use up memory and storage filming the blackness each night.

What should I look for memory wise and quality wise. I was going to just leave it on each night on top of my pack and turn it off during the day.

Thanks,
Barry

Last edited:
Zoom H1 is a decent little recorder but recording an entire night is going to be a challenge for nearly any recorder in terms of both memory and battery life. You can even get a dead cat for the zoom to cut down on wind noise, I've got one on mine and it works quite well.

Thanks for the tip Redoleary. I'll check this out a the local Best Buy. Never heard of a dead cat but youtube set me straight. I guess I will need to compare capacities and charging systems and see what will work best.

I'll warn you that I always take the battery out of mine when not using it because if I don't it will be dead, thats the only issue I've had with it.

Here are a couple thoughts.
My GoPro H+3 Black gets pretty good sound even in it's waterproof case. Last year I did the Floodwood loop and it picked up the loons clearly.

The other thought is that My same GoPro is NOT a very good device at all in low light. So regardless of the sound quality the video becomes lacking. I did get some very good video from it in early evening (hence my observation about sound) but eventually the light fell below the camera's ability.

My understanding is the GoPro 4 is significantly better in low light.

None of these statements are reviews of the GoPro. They are just observations regards to the original topic.

Back