• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

At the mercy of a shuttle service?

Shtuttles are harder to find in the West. Mostly we do our own shuttles. I did one on the upper Missouri R in Montana that took all day. The trip was 151 miles on the water.
When shuttles are available I take advantage of them. $25 would be nothing. I would pay $50 , 75 or 100 for an overnight trip.

I remember that one.. I thought that the Allagash was enough.. or the St John.. The Allagash shuttle can take no time whatsoever if you mail your car keysspare set of course ( with corresponding info to which car) and mail to the shuttle driver then take off from your prearranged point ( usually Chamberlain Bridge) and pick up your car seven to ten days later. Or you can drive your car to the end and then take the van into the starting point.. lessee thats is some eight hours on the road extra. And they are lumpy roads.

Shuttles are an inevitability in Northern Ontario on rivers. Sometimes can be done by train. Like the Polar Bear out of Moosonee but the problem is for the Missinaibi River you want to get back to your car in say Mattice.. The train goes to Cochrane.. Not Mattice some two hours away. So you have to figure that one out.. Currently there is still an outfitter in Mattice that will drive your car.

Another very deceiving one is the shuttle between Everglades City and Flamingo.. Some 100 miles by water ( depending on which route you take ) the shuttle one way between those point can take four hours.

We generally pay $15 per head for a shuttle. I try to avoid shuttles around here. Had one outfitter do a shuttle for me putting my gelcoat canoe in a big basket with a bunch of kayaks. When they arrived at the put in, the canoe was standing on end on the floor of the cage with a big chip out of the stem. They don't hire the most knowledgeable staff, just teenagers looking for something to ruin - like most teenagers I've known.

there is a local 6 hr paddle on a meandering creek that has a 2mi shuttle. ive biked it several times. highest paddle to shuttle ratio I have encountered.

Back