• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Arthritis increase linked to lack of physical activity...

Reaction score
This study examined knee osteoarthritis only but provides evidence contrary to current opinion that heavy joint loading wears away joint cartilage to eventually cause arthritis. Instead, evidence from old and new skeletons suggests that lack of physical activity may be a reason why cartilage breaks down earlier.

Arthritis causes and cures aren't well understood but prevention may be possible with more physical activity beginning at an early age. The obvious takeaway here is to port huge amounts of gear including the kitchen sink as recent photos have shown and to paddle badly scratched-up canoes since they provide more resistance and greater joint loadings... jest kidding.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/skel...g-it-s-about-activity-1.4253189?autoplay=true

my dad always said people that are feeble in old age were probably sedentary and feeble when young. I guess he was sorta right...

Watching all the young folks texting as they are walking along the street, in the mall or in a restaurant; they'll never get arthritis in their finger joints like us oldsters !

Jack L

My wife is a retired RN. She was always a floor nurse who walked almost her entire shift. We hiked portions of the AT and did many hikes in the ADK. She now has arthritis in both her knees, wrists, fingers, and one ankle. The other ankle was replaced because of "Arthur" (her term). She firmly believes that genetics is the most contributing factor to her arthritis. Her father and brothers all had it. Her nephew, in his early 50's has the knee joints of an 80+ year old and has already had one shoulder surgery due to arthritis. Some families are predisposed to heart disease and cancer, so why not arthritis?

There's different kinds of arthritis. I walk quite a bit, and yet my feet are already suffering daily pain from gout. The cause? My diet. Eating a lot of seafood, drinking beer and wine, possibly other foodstuffs are what got me here by the time I'd reached my early forties.

As for my rheumatoid arthritis, I've noticed a great reduction in its effects since losing 80 pounds and spending more time outdoors. I've probably got another 50 pounds or so to go. Except in my hands. I type a lot (as part of my day job) and my hands are good predictors of severe low pressure systems moving in. No change there even with improved health.

MODERATE exercise does help, for me at least. Walking, biking, pushups and knee bends. Heavy activity is not good for me and I suffer right away if I try. I can hardly be accused of being sedentary, but I have slowed waaaay down the past few years.

Interetingly enough, I was very physically active in my younger years, and still manage to outdo most women my age. Looking after yourself is a lifelong commitment, the earlier you start, the more likely you are to maintain it.

We know intuitively we feel better after regular exercise and exertion. The key is not hurting yourself, stretch and warm up before doing the harder stuff. Doesn't matter how old you are, still need to ease into it.

I also agree genetics are a big factor, but one still needs to maintain an appropriate level of physical activity to avoid atrophy.

My mother 93 and still walking every day, she is down to only 3 miles a day, no arthritis.

There's different kinds of arthritis. I walk quite a bit, and yet my feet are already suffering daily pain from gout. The cause? My diet. Eating a lot of seafood, drinking beer and wine, possibly other foodstuffs are what got me here by the time I'd reached my early forties.

I just started getting attacks of gout last year. Doc wanted to put me on drugs, but I hate taking that sort of stuff. So rather than cut down on beer or seafood (my triggers as well) I started significantly increasing my water intake. No attacks since. Your mileage may vary.

I am happily free from any joint pain as I approach my milestone of 50...my mom suffers from arthritis, so there is some genetic risk there, but so far so good. I try to keep active, and I guess depending on the type of arthritis one is talking about I suppose that may help.

-rs

at 69 my arthritis became unbearable and I had to have a knee replacement
Pretty good when all the cartilage was removed at 23 from a ski injury I was told I would have arthritis by 45
I suppose canoeing put it off another 24 years

Arthritis has a number of causes.

Back