• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Anyone have experience with this canoe?

Reaction score
I searched but did not find any threads that mention the Northstar B19. There is generally not much on the web about this canoe. The stats are intriguing for the type of canoe I am interested in. Does anyone here have any personal experience with it? Thanks and Happy new year!

Thank you. I already looked there but only found one entry (via Google) - as it seems the BWCA forums are not searchable. My hope is to find someone here that has some direct experience with the B19 and or with other 3-seat optios for a canoe that can carry 3 adults with gear.

Much appreciated, Alan!
I am not sure why my G - search only came up with one result...might that have to do with personalized results based on my search preferences? Evil search engine magic? Who knows :).

What I learned so far:
- My old Spirit II is a great canoe for two (200 pound plus individuals) with some gear. Add a third person, even at a moderate let's say 120 pounds) and things can get dicey in choppy water.
- We fun paddled my Northstar Northwind with 4 people this summer for a short river stretch in Idaho (Pack River). Free board was probably around 3" and we ended up with a Northstar submarine :). Water temps were great, and so was the company. We also had other canoes with us for a dry paddle home. Moral of the story, the Northstar is no an option.
- I like Wenonah canoes, but love Northstar canoes.
- Some folks on the BWCA site chimed in with Sours River Q 18.5 suggestions. To that I can only say that, years ago, I reached out to SR with a few questions about their canoes, and the response I received really turned me away from ever wanting to deal with SR.

Finally, I always appreciated the input I received from the esteemed members of the canoe tripping site, so I am still holding out for some here to chime in with personal 3-seat canoe experience ;-).

Happy New Year!

I searched but did not find any threads that mention the Northstar B19. There is generally not much on the web about this canoe. The stats are intriguing for the type of canoe I am interested in. Does anyone here have any personal experience with it? Thanks and Happy new year!
The B16 and B17 are fairly popular in my neck of the woods. They aren't BWCAW type boats. In IXP they are a good river canoe.
Seems like the B19 would be something I'd look at if I was planning on Paddling the Yukon or Nahanni.
Maybe a bit much for the lower 48.

I don't know if these guys are still in business, the last activity on their page looks like 2019, but I got plans for a 20 foot cedar strip canoe from them, and it woould be just what you are looking for. I have routinely paddled with 4 people in it, no problems at all.

edited to say that link looks problematic too. Company was Valley woodworking, canoe was Outback 200.

@Dagger- I can't speak specifically to the B-19, however, I have paddled the B-16 & 17.....as Idiot Savant stated, the hull is designed for hauling a load on rivers. The hull is more rounded and rockered for maneuverability in moving water. It is best paddled from your knees. Put a couple of less experienced paddlers in it sitting on the seats with no gear and there is a good chance they will be swimming.....If you check you tube for NorthStar or Bear Paulson on the San Juan River, there is some great footage of the B-17 loaded running Class I-III rapids.

@ memaquay: I wish I had the talent and patience to build a canoe. Thank you for the info tho! :)

@ Jatfomike: Points well taken! I kneel in canoes but I often take nubes, and they, as is true for the rest of my family, all prefer sitting.
The resulting high center of gravity can certainly cause the odd pucker moment and/or excessive dampness ;-). I suppose I like the paper stats of the B19, but I understand paddling the canoe may not be for novices.

I did look at the NW18 and the NW20 as well. The NW20 will cause storage issues, but the NW18 may be an option. I paddle 95% flat water.
Any other canoe manufacturer /canoe model you guys think I should entertain?
Thanks!

If you can find an old Bell Northwoods, it would probably do well for you. I tested one out a number of years ago and thought about picking it up, but did not need a canoe quite that large.

Back