• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Ambiguities with the Rapids Rating Scale

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Difficulty does not always reflect consequence, and the consequence does not always reflect difficulty. Calling a rapid “a chill class V” or “a big class IV” does not change the physical rapid; the terms only change our expectations and our perception. Some will underrate a rapid not to scare a friend, others will overrate a rapid to inflate their egos, and others still will give you their honest classification and be wrong in your opinion."

Yeah, my gripe has always been there isn't enough risk built into the scale. I've paddled several rapids that are class 2-3ish technically, but 1/4 mile wide and 1/3 mile long. Think the long rapids on the New river between Hinton and Thurmond. Lovely canoeing rapids. But if you
swim you are going in the drink a long long time.

I've seen several discussions rate Double Z, farther down in the Gorge, a 3+. Nonsense. Yes, done right in a creek boat it seems easy. But 3+ doesn't communicate the consequences of messing up and swimming into an undercut.

Plus the experienced paddlers who rate rivers are often so good they've forgotten what it's like to be normal.

Last edited:
Becky Mason and her partner Reid came up here one time for a dedication to her Dad in Nipigon. I set them up with a trip down the Namewaminikan River. I had graded the rapids according to my limited skills, and as they paddled away, I told them it was a pretty easy milk run. I hadn't rated anything over Class 2 I believe.

When I talked to Becky later, she said that the trip was much "wetter" then they had expected, which I took to mean I had rated things too low. It made me wonder if I have been running big things my whole life without even knowing it.

Or maybe they just ran some of thing I cut ports around, I forgot to ask her that.

Back