• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Affordable solo canoe

No Title

I should probably start a new thread on the Blue Gill, but here are the before pics. The last is where I did a test spot with penetrol, and it brought the gel coat right back to life! I took it to Hemlock Canoe Works this morning and met Dave Curtis, and after talking with him I decided I would leave the woodwork in his hands, as my main concern was being able to keep the form square, and I did have my doubts. Hopefully I will have some after pics sooner than later!

Attachments

• photo4936.jpg
    photo4936.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4937.jpg
    photo4937.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4938.jpg
    photo4938.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo4939.jpg
    photo4939.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1
No Title

I picked up the Blue Gill early last month and have had it out about ten times since. It handles beautifully and I couldn't be happier..Mr Curtis was great and really appreciated bringing it back to life. I redid the hull myself with Flood Penetrol and Mr Curtis was kind enough to toss in some new decals.

Attachments

• photo5420.jpg
    photo5420.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5421.jpg
    photo5421.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5422.jpg
    photo5422.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 3
Wow! Talk about a resurrection, that boat looks great!
Which layup is it, the fiberglass, or Kevlar version?
You mentioned upthread about the Essex Chain lakes...permits are no longer required for camping there. That would be the perfect boat to explore the "Chain Drain".
Still plenty of soft water time left...

I picked up the Blue Gill early last month and have had it out about ten times since. It handles beautifully and I couldn't be happier..Mr Curtis was great and really appreciated bringing it back to life. I redid the hull myself with Flood Penetrol and Mr Curtis was kind enough to toss in some new decals.

Wow, that is a brand new 30 year old boat, new decals and all.

Getting back a canoe to rehab that he last saw decades ago must be interesting from Dave Curtis' perspective.

It's the fiberglass hull, stripperguy, comes in at44lbs, not bad for me, but I will have to work on practicing with portage weight and everything. The Essex Chain will have to wait until next year as I just don't have the time, but I will definitely hit them up.

Back