• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Adjustable Mini-cell Foam Seat idea

Reaction score
Special thanks to Mike McCrea for advice on carving a seat out of mini-cell foam, but for my needs i cannot permanently glue the seat into my hull because i plan on sleeping on my Vagabond's floor occasionally since there are very few places to camp/bivouack
where i live. I sketched these concepts around NorthWaters glue-on anchor products (colored red in these sketches)...These unique nylon webbing anchors should make it possible for me to remove my mini-cell seat when i need to. Straps are glued/sandwiched between two mini-cell blocks and should hold strong as glue likes large surface area to adhere to. Another thanks to Mike McCrea for showing me NorthWater products.
Has anyone tried something similar? How did it work? Any unwanted seat movement while paddling?.... thanks!

Attachments

• photo4327.jpg
    photo4327.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4328.jpg
    photo4328.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
i cannot permanently glue the seat into my hull because i plan on sleeping on my Vagabond's floor occasionally since there are very few places to camp/bivouack

Has anyone tried something similar? How did it work? Any unwanted seat movement while paddling?

From a functional standpoint the Northwater straps and D-ring anchors will work. You would want to have the side strap connections close to the seat so that they are pulling nearly straight down to reduce any movement of the seat, similar to how a taller pedestal kneeling seat is sometimes installed using those webbing loop track anchors.

To further reduce any seat slippage perhaps you could glue permanently something thin and grippier to the floor that would help keep the minicel from sliding the slick, wet composite surface. The first thing that comes to mind is a couple of long strips of Dynel epoxied with no peel ply, which would set up with a stubble rough finish.

From a personal practicality standpoint I would go to some lengths to avoid sleeping in my boat. Great lengths.

The inside of my boat is usually sandy or muddy and wet from entry wading feet, paddle drips and splash; even sponging out the bilge and rolling out a sleeping pad it’s gonna make a fugly damp bed.

Some of places I paddle have heavy morning dew. I don’t want to wake up soaked, so I’d need some kind of waterproof fly. A lot of places have a heavy bug population, so no-see-um netting would be a necessity.

How the heck do I set that stuff up from inside the boat? And dang I hope the boat doesn’t somehow roll over; at best I’d be wide awake wet, and at worst I’d be entrapment dead. And, not to be too graphic, but I really hope I don’t need to take a crap anytime soon.

Just unhooking the seat and moving it back out of the way seems like an awkward PITA while in the boat. And the boat will be less grab-and-go at the put in or take out; one more thing to rig and unrig each time. Help me Mr. Wizard, I don’t want to be stuck at the launch anymore.

I know that some Watertribe paddlers have similar/elaborate sleep-aboard arrangements for their Sea Winds and etc, to sleep stuffed back in the mangroves. I guess if I’m paddling 30 hours at a stretch sleeping in the boat is just one more discomfort I’m willing to endure. Somewhere on the Watertribe site I’m sure there are photos of DIY cockpit screens and tents.

For a back in the mangroves bivouac using a hammock seems much easier. String up a snakeskinned Hennessy or etc, tie the boat off underneath and clamber up into bed. As gator bait. That sandy beach or high ground hummock is looking better all the time.

Or, far more my style, paddle to some known beach or high ground habitat, where everything is walking around upright easier, except maybe getting the tides right to camp land and launch.

I just did a measurement on some of our decked boats, including the Vagabond. There is at a minimum of 9 feet of hull between the front seat edge and bow stem, plenty of room for even a 6 footer to lay flat. Resting on a thick inflated sleeping pad the low minicel seat might make a nice pillow.

Before trying those Northwater track anchors and D-ring pads (anchor tracks = $50 a pair, $20 for a couple D-ring pads) maybe take the Vagabond out somewhere safe and easy with carved minicel seat still unglued and try taking a nap using the seat as a pillow. You could lightly tack the seat in place with a couple wee dabs of Goop at the launch, stick it lightly in place, wait 10 minutes and go; the seat should pop out with a tug when you are done and the residual Goop peel off the hull or minicel.

How’s the sleep aboard. Comfy? How was it securing the hull bow and stern so you didn’t drift around? What happens when the tide comes in or goes out in the middle of the night. Ooops.

As you are laying there staring at the swarming no-see-ums, ponder how best to quickly attach a rainfly and screen to the outside cowling lip. Help Mr. Wizard!

I really don’t mean to dissuade you from experimenting. dang near everything I know about comes from trying and seeing and sometimes failing, and through that process I have learned a few immutable things about boatwork:

More time spent doing thorough prep work = a better job and less time doing the actual installation.

When doing something experimental or self-taught, stopping work to think about the next most-efficient series of steps is faster than hurrying.

The more major the modification the more incremental the steps I take. If I’m planning to try X, Y and Z I want to test paddle with X before I install Y or start marking locations for Z.

The boatcrafting art work is wonderful stuff, the beginnings of a boat tinkerer’s graphic novel.

thanks again Mike! Glad you shared your advice publicly on my minicel seat concept post, as it could save some OTHER lurking tinkerer greenhorn from becoming mortally ensnared in his/her capsized canoe-camper during a summer squall lol..but seriously. So indeed i did not consider all those points. Originally i did want to try napping on the water but mostly, i was planning on bivouack camping inside my BEACHED canoe and tied up to a mangrove, ya know catch a couple hours then paddle some more, then beach it in a couple hours. Yep the no-see-ums here are heck on earth...i have special netting material left over from my sailboat project and i want to copy a WaterTribers design i saved pics of. For the seat /pillow position test am going to use a bit of hot glue instead of goop as i dont want to make any more 25 minute trips to our home depot zoo. Come to think on it ill just Amazon Prime the stuff to my door! And thanks for measuring, duh why didnt i think of that ha! My my 3" minicell pad might make perfect pillow and yes i dont like the idea of giving another $150+ to Northwater even though i think they are nice folks and have very good customer service/products. ill let you know how my nap test fairs out. My dad needed my truck this past week so ive had no time to test anything in real life, so i just theorize and draw, something that can easily grow into the fantasy realm if not paying attention...(while waiting for back-orderded rudders) I'm digging this boat tinkerers graphic novel idea. Laters! -P

Last edited:
Well, I've slept a few times in a canoe, twice in one night in my Disco caught in an eddy. Rest of the crew had to come back to find me, did I say twice? Guess I was tired! Another time on the James Bay tucked with my feet in the bow and my head under the seat. Not very comfortable, we were waiting for the tide. Not sure I would do it again and this far north the bugs didn't bother me but I can see if they were out and bothering me I'd be one to tip the boat trying to get away from them or trying to get up to piss late in the night. heck, I fell in the river one night trying to get to my tent but that there is another story! Good luck on your project and I'll be interested to hear how it comes out!

For the seat /pillow position test am going to use a bit of hot glue instead of goop as i dont want to make any more 25 minute trips to our home depot zoo.

Battery operated hot glue gun? Really long extension cord?

I was thinking for a temporary and easily removed test seat install it would be better to install the seat at the launch, rather than cartop it and discover that a laboriously carved custom minicel seat was somewhere in the ditch alongside the highway.

I am sold on the value of running a bead of Plumber’s Goop along the perimeter of anything glued into the hull. The enemy of adhesion is water and grit infiltration, so I run a bead of that adhesive sealant along the perimeter of my vinyl pad D-rings and minicel pads.

Dougd- got a blog link to that particular sleep story? sounds grueling...maybe i can learn from reading more and avoid problems
Mike- i got the Plumbers Goop. My idea on trying hot-glue: if i used just a dab here and there i could do a day long sit and paddle test and later remove the seat (after marking location)...my dried hot glue comes off with good hair dryer...

No Title

You may have no interest in this since I built it for use in my pirogue, but here's a few pics of my paddling seat. The feet are coated in clear rubber so it doesn't slide around and it makes a great camp chair for fire/star gazing.

Attachments

• photo4358.jpg
    photo4358.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4359.jpg
    photo4359.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 0
BTW I sleep in my boats quite often. String a tarp over your boat, put in you bedroll, and you' good to go.

You may have no interest in this since I built it for use in my pirogue, but here's a few pics of my paddling seat. The feet are coated in clear rubber so it doesn't slide around and it makes a great camp chair for fire/star gazing.

Doc, that Adirondack-style seat pan is very reminiscent of how Shenandoah made the seats in their canoes (Blue Hole hulls with Shenandoah woodwork).

That is actually a very comfy seat pan and pretty easy to DIY, especially if you have an example of the curve/recurve of the frame.

I saved an old Shenandoah seat for copying purposes, and I think CT’er Chip took another and copied the design for a rebuild, maybe in his 20foot WC canoe.

Back