• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Adirondack recommendations for a 3-4 day loop?

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a 3-4 day loop in the ADK's next week. Perhaps the Floodwood Loop, St. Regis ponds loop, or... I dunno. I've been hiking and climbing in the High Peaks Region for 55 years or so, but never paddled. Keep in mind I'm solo, and in a wood/canvas canoe. I'm not looking for outrageous distance or Herculaen portaging, just a good intro to ADK paddling for an experienced outdoor person.

My canoe is about 55#, and my kit is minimal since I come from a lightweight hiking/camping tradition. I can stretch an otherwise short itinerary with some peak bagging along the way too.

Lastly, a loop is desirable to me since I abhor having to ask others to facilitate logistics for me, but it isn't out of the question if I can arrange it soon enough for a desirable point-to-point style trip.

Thanks all.
Pat

Long Pond (put-in) carry to Bessie (nice campsite there) or onward to Nellie/Kit Fox/Little Long/Little Fish to Fish (camp at Little Fish or Fish). Carry to Clamshell (camp), then to Turtle/Slang and back to Long Pond. You could do the last night on Long Pond or go straight out.

Carry from the Long Pond lot to the pond is .3 miles. The carry to Bessie is 1.2 and another .3 to Nellie. I was just up there last week (admittedly carrying a Hornbeck) and there were only a couple of wet, muddy, rocky sections between Long and Nellie. The carries from Nellie to Kit Fox to Little Long and Little Fish are short, but some are steep. I haven't done the Clamshell route for some time, so I can't comment on that. There is also the truck trail from St. Regis Pond to Fish Pond, which last week I was told was a straightforward carry. The person I spoke to used a cart.

You could also do the Bog River/Lows Lake out and back - only a 100 yd. carry around the upper dam.

Last edited:
Long Pond to Pink Pond and carry to Ledge Pond.
After returning to Long, check out Turtle and Slang.
When you're done there, try Little Tupper to Rock Pond and back out. I hesitate to recommend the more distant routes through Bessie and Clamshell, or LTL-Rock-Hardigan-Salmon-Lilypd-Lila due to the length of the carries. If you're been hiking the High Peaks for 55 years...then you're likely my age or so...time for a lighter boat or less strenuous trips.
It's about the fun and the experience, after all...

You might also like all of the St Regis route from Little Clear to St Regis and beyond, out and back with a base camp on St Regis.

Although not a loop trip (unless you circumnavigate the lake!), Lake Lila may be worth consideration. Easy .3 mile portage in (carry, not cart), and then more than enough to keep you occupied once there. Karen and I had a great time there last month. We enjoyed exploring the Beaver River, and especially, Shingle Shanty Brook. Beautiful Lake!

Back