• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Adirondack Paddlers Guide or Adirondack Paddling?

Reaction score
For the folks who have used these books do you prefer one or the other? I know I could get both but don't want to be redundant.

thank you.

I've never seen the ADK's Adirondack Paddling, so I can't comment on it.

I have had Dave Cilley's Adirondack Paddlers Guide for many years, which is a companion to his waterproof Adirondack Paddlers Map, which shows all the campsites on the book's routes. I suspect Cilley's book is more complete, and its three-ring binder construction allows you to keep the book open to your trip's pages in its Ziplock bag while you are paddling in your canoe, which I've found to be convenient.

In this picture, I have a large map case attached to the thwart in front of my seat. It has the relevant area of the map inserted on one side and the book spread open to two relevant pages on the other side (behind the map). I flip the map case over to read the book. The map case is in front of me at all times underneath my topo mapping GPS.

Map Case.JPG

Maybe not the answer you want, but I frequently refer to both, as well as Quiet Water NY and online resources. Adirondack Paddling is very user friendly and easy to peruse, but it is focused on day trips. Cilley's is better for the logistics of trip planning, but I get inspiration of places to go from Adirondack Paddling. I often locate areas of interest in that, but take pics of maps and pages in both and take Cilley's map with me for navigation in the backcountry. The map is waterproof and has survived a lot of folding and re-folding and stuffing in thwart bags. I think Cilley's doesn't quite go as far south as ADK Paddling. And the Cilley set I got only includes his northern map, so a lot of places aren't on it. If I had to pick, I'd probably get Cilley's with the northern and southern maps. But I'd recommend both if possible (and I'd probably take both over the Quiet Water book).

Thanks all - will ultimately end up with both books. Now just need to find the time to go - you'd think being retired would offer plenty of time but...
As my dad said when he retired - " I have so much to do now I don't know how I found time to go to work!".

Another note - Cilley's maps have DEC's primitive campsites marked. The National Geogrpahic maps available for the Daks don't have said sites marked, which has me eternally scratching my head as to why a map geared to backpackers wouldn't show campsites.

Back