• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Adirondack 90 Mile canoe race canceled

so sad. This Covid 19 will be with us for years.. joins a long list of diseases that persist. I am not sure when we stop cancelling life.
I hate the phrase "abundance of caution".
I do realize it is serious but have lost some paddling buddies as they absolutely refuse to come out till there is a vaccine.. sigh.

The cancellation might have had to do with the difficulties of lodging etc and quarantines.

Brian (the race director) tells me it was a combination of not wanting to commit resources and volunteers at the usual time early this summer to an uncertain event, plus he was having trouble getting the necessary authorization permits from state agencies: such as DEC, State Police, etc. Program guides needed to be printed NOW. This would have been my 24th consecutive 90.

Last edited:
Brian did say that he will be trying to have a much scaled down event at about the same time (the weekend after Labor Day). Then the Long Boat Regatta is normally a couple of weeks later. I don't think that requires any extensive permits, it just has the support of the Town of Long Lake officials.

Last edited:
The Missouri River 340, planned for August 3-7, hasn't (yet?) cancelled. They're working out protocols for a social distanced version ... online safety briefing, masks while on shore, grab & go awards, etc. It sounds like they will run it if all of the relevant authorities (including the river!) fall in line. I'm signed up but will probably need to defer, given quarantine logistics for me and my partner (neither of us anywhere near Missouri).

Tough year for the race directors. The act of paddling is naturally socially distanced, unless you're drafting behind a war canoe full of opera singers, but it's hard to plan a large event without having a crowd form somewhere. For many of the participating organizations, like scout troops raising money selling food at checkpoints, it doesn't work without a critical mass of people. Even if you think you have it all worked out there's a chance that either a flare-up of the actual virus or an overabundance of caution from some official will torpedo the whole thing.

Back