• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

A short video of my recent North Maine Woods trip

I enjoyed the video Robin, Nice canoe !

. One thing about the "Canadian" style of paddling, is the dragging of the paddle against the outwhale. It doesn't make sense to me. It's noisey, and game spooking, it wears the paddle, and the outwhale.

Tumblehome may help, but even when I solo my old Aluminums, I don't rub the rails.

Jim

Great stuff Robin. Really liked seeing your modified wall tent back in action. Amazing bit of canoe surgery you did. I think you should submit that photo to the WCHA for use in their annual calendar or their journal. It's a gorgeous shot! Hoping you get to enjoy an early start to paddling season in the spring.

Nice country, nice tent, nice video! Every time I see your frying pan on top of the stove, I'm suspicious that you have a camera crew with you, because there's no way one person could pile in that amount of food, lol. Just kidd'n, I could make short work of it, plus a dessert of fried spam. Got new lottery tickets for tonight, the deal is still on, if I win, new tent for you, and a case of bacon and egg flavoured spam, or whatever flavour you prefer.

Robin - I saw the video on YouTube before seeing it posted here. Looks a lot like places in the Adirondacks; which I'm sure you already figured out long ago (LOL)! Solid upstream paddling skills in action so you obviously worked for your enjoyment.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Every time I see your frying pan on top of the stove, I'm suspicious that you have a camera crew with you, because there's no way one person could pile in that amount of food, lol.

I thought the same thing, how does the man maintain his boyish figure. : )Nice video. Thanks for posting.

. One thing about the "Canadian" style of paddling, is the dragging of the paddle against the outwhale. It doesn't make sense to me. It's noisey, and game spooking, it wears the paddle, and the outwhale.

Tumblehome may help, but even when I solo my old Aluminums, I don't rub the rails.

Jim

Ya got me there Jim, age and health has caught up, I didn't realized I dragged my paddle so much on the gunnel till I watched this video. I'll refrain from posting videos here from now on.

Very nice videography, Robin.

Two questions: What device do you use to hold your POV camera at different positions in the canoe and on land? How do you compare the paddling performance of your DIY Cruiser to the Pal and Chum?

Ya got me there Jim, age and health has caught up, I didn't realized I dragged my paddle so much on the gunnel till I watched this video. I'll refrain from posting videos here from now on.

Don't stop with the videos !!! I really enjoy them !

I'll turn down the volume !

Over the years I've noted many paddlers, Wintertreker, and Kevin Callin, come to mind. Wintertrekker, even pads his paddle. I realize they use different paddles than I, and maybe that is the reason.

In my early years (High School), on the river, I hunted ducks and trapped out of a canoe or Jon boat. Being quiet was the order.

I apologize if you take offense to my comment, that was not my intent !

Jim

Sometimes it's the little things, like how solidly that w&c canoe handles and how gracefully it moves thru those northern waters. Sometimes it's the not so little things, like how warm, dry and spaciously comfortable that canvas tent handles the howling conditions in those northern elements. Thanks for sharing Robin. I really enjoyed this. I needed reminding how good things can be getting away from it all keeping calm and canoeing on.

ps I / we would really really like the heated tent for a base camp type trip. Stoking up the stove and taking a peek out through the tent flaps in a storm really brings that home to me.

Last edited:
My philosophy is, if you never bang your gunnels with your paddle you are probably trying too hard not to. I try not to hit mine, that being said, they contact the gunnels regularly.

Has anyone ever seen gunnels worn so thin from contacting the paddle that they needed to be replaced? I doubt it.

Awesome video Robin. I missed out on a canoe trip with hot tents this December - family stuff to tend to. Would have been some shinning times tripping down the Wisconsin river in a few weeks I love the canoe - makes me so lonesome for mine ....

I paddle with a wrap on my paddles so I can complete my J stroke against the gunnel. It is real quiet and there is not much wear on the paddle or the gunnel after about a zillion water miles. When I want to sneak up on animals I usually go to the Indian stroke, less movement and even quieter.

Your canoe pics look so nice ... but man on the water in motion .... dang Robin, that is good stuff! :cool:

Bob.

Gee, I thought a pry off the gunwhale in a J was completely legit -- Bill Mason mentions it and doesn't say you should feel bad about it and wash your hands afterwards. Why do extra work when nature put a fulcrum in just the right place?

I don't know much about w/c boats, but isn't the outwhale often a harder species of wood than the inwhale since it's more of a working surface?

Hey Robin,

I have been looking at your canoe in the video and it looks to be trimmed very well. Can you give me a ball park of how much weight you have in it including yourself - trying to get an idea for when ( God willing ) my canoe ever shows up. Also, I would love to redo my gunnels ( outer gunnels) and stain them dark, deck also, like yours. Man that is a sexy boat!

Great Video Robin, man I wish mine were here and I could do my Wisconsin River trip with my hot tent next weekend.

It looks like it has so much more glide than my 15 foot Prospector ( chestnut design has very good glide for a shorter wider canoe).

Did you hunt with it this fall?

Bob.

Back