• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

A Maine Guide

Reaction score
I always liked this picture, poling a shoreline of a lake can be a good way to learn poling, and just a good way to have fun in a canoe.

MaineGuide_zpse1d7e188.jpg

Beautiful pic Robin. Poling the shallows of a lake shoreline is fun provided there's no pressure to perform from folks on dry land. When I first started practicing on my cottage lake, my then 3 yr old son was "cheering me on" from the dock. I got my confidence up and wanted to impress him so I sped up right to the dock with the intention of jamming the pole ahead of me to do a quick stop...the bow still nudged the dock ever so slightly. The mild force knocked me off balance and I face planted into the water right below his feet with the canoe shooting behind to the beach. Of course, now he thinks canoe poling is about belly-flopping in the water like a clumsy idiot so he gets excited every time I take the pole out of the garage.

Neat photo! I started poling along the shore of the local lake too. Come to think of it - the next-to-last place I poled was on the lake...in the Sojourn. Probably the only place that will ever happen.

Back