• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

A Dilemma for Christmas!

Reaction score
Well, Willis asked what I got for Christmas...I got a dilemma! Here's the story.

My step mother heard of our adventures this summer...my 17 year old son and I dragging an 80 pound aluminum canoe through Killarney Provincial Park, Ontario...(a great trip that deserves a report sometime.) Our Adirondack adventures in the past have been limited by canoe weight also.

Well it's been a hard year and she knows money is tight. So she bought me a super generous gift...an $800. gift certificate to the big local canoe shop. She wanted us to have a lighter canoe that would increase our canoe tripping opportunities. Well, this is by far the largest gift I have ever received!!!...and, by the way, the certificate is also nonrefundable and non-transferable.

So you're probably starting to see the problem....8 hundred doesn't go very far in the world of Wenonah, Bell, Old Town...and the rest....actually, it doesn't go anywhere, especially not lightweight. The only thing I can get is a poly canoe that weighs more than what I have now. To make matters worse, I have plans to build a cedar strip boat all ready to go, I just don't have the $600ish that I need for materials.

So that's my dilemma...any suggestions or bright ideas???
Scott

Re: A Dilemma for Christmas!

I take it that they are not an outfitter? I am thinking used since most outfitters buy new stock for the new season. And the sell off the old stock at great prices.

Well yes, they are an outfitter...even used canoes are out of reach. There is one beat looking Royalex rental for $795...just doesn't get me excited. They have 1000 new and used in stock...just don't see that anything is going to fall in my price range.

Dilemma update--
I'm focusing my search on Royalex "touring" canoes...there's an Old Town Penobscot demo that might be in range...any one have experience with this or other similar canoes?
Scott

Great boats. Heavy and indestructible.

Well, dilemma solved!
I ended up with the OT Penobscot, a demo model they had in green.
It is way lighter than the old aluminum., so we won't be afraid to choose trips with a little longer portage now.
It's got me excited about planning for a canoe trip now!
Scott

Well, dilemma solved!
I ended up with the OT Penobscot, a demo model they had in green.
It is way lighter than the old aluminum., so we won't be afraid to choose trips with a little longer portage now.
It's got me excited about planning for a canoe trip now!
Scott

Good move! You will love that canoe. Sit in front and paddle backward, or kneel to go solo.

Back