• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

662 Miles To Skunk Creek, Canada

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"On these little green signs in white capital letters are the names of some of Canada’s most pristine, challenging and seldom-paddled whitewater rivers. Names like the Nagagami, Shekak and Skunk Creek that had meant nothing to me, until now."

Shekak River Canada.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. I spent 4 seasons working in bush camps in this exact area and have paddled the Nagagami. Its gorge looked like it would be a hoot to run in a solo or kayak but the rest of the river I wouldn’t consider a white water paradise. Ive always wanted to go back and run the Shekak just because I spent so much time so close to it. The area is beautiful rolling jack pine and white spruce country full of small rivers and creeks.

The author does a good job selling the area but there are a few things to note.
1. I would consider these rivers seasonal runs and can run out of water pretty quickly. I was through there August long weekend this year and there was no you could float a boat. It’s a very well drained area. East of Hearst and Kapaskasing is the total opposite.
2. When water levels are prime, the bugs are horrendous, worse than anything I’ve seen anywhere else in the country. Even the artic. There is so many creeks and rivers in the area, it’s black fly paradise. Think seething masses. It’s quite spectacular.
3. Hearst is very French, and a blue collar logging town, and not all that friendly to outsiders. It’s safe enough, and I’ve walked down the streets late at night in an altered state many times, but you definitely don’t get that warm fuzzy feeling in the shops and restaurants. That said, Johns Place on its main drag is the best restaurant north of North Bay. I’ll take the double cheeseburger platter, fries poutine style, large Greek salad and a milkshake please!

I would have to disagree about your characterization of Hearst. It's just a couple of hours down the road from me. In my experience, the French Canadians of Northern Ontario are some of the nicest people in the world, and second to none when it comes to customer service. I have spent several weekends in Hearst, and have always been treated well. If you want to experience total customer disdain, head to Thunder Bay, although the customer service there has improved quite a lot since most of the positions are now held by new Canadians, who greet you with a smile and friendly service.

I don’t know Mem, it’s definitely rough around the edges, more so than Kap and Cochrane and it definitely ain’t Huntsville. I can’t comment further, perhaps I’ve been living in the west too long…
I will agree, T-bay is definitely an interesting place.

Lol, don't stop in Geraldton then, we have become a testosterone driven mining town, where a night in the bar is like an invitation to a MMA tournament. Hearst looks pretty cosmopolitan to us country bumpkins. For instance, they have a Canadian Tire, a McDonalds and all the other accoutrements of high-falutin society. In fact, we often comment that Hearst people think that they are better than us, that they think they are all high society.

It's kind of a Springfield vs Shelbyville kind of thing. Except G-Town would be considered to be Shelbyville.

Back