• Happy National Poultry Day! 🐔🦃🦆🍗

3 Days on the Brazos River Texas

Reaction score
Last weekend Emma and I took our annual canoe trip. We did the 20 mile trip below Possum Kingdom Lake, 3 day 2 nights. The 3 days was nice. It gave time to fish and hang out with the 2 other dad/daughter groups. Day 1 started around 5am by stopping and getting one of the dad daughter group. Loaded their stuff up and took off for the 3 hour drive to the river. Stopped by the livery and dropped off keys to the truck so they could shuttle my truck to the end for us. I think we got on the water around 9-10am. This year the water was pretty low. They have not been releasing very much out of PK. Fishing was awesome this year and I think everyone caught fish. For the first day one of the members was not able to start until about 3pm. So us that started early fished and floated a lot. Then found camp about 6.5 miles from start. Nice little gravel island with trees on it. Blocked the wind and made a cozy camp. Got a fire going and heated up dinner waiting for the last part of our group. They showed up about dark-30. Sat around eating and enjoying the company. Then all 3 of the girls took off with flashlights and exploring the island.

Next morning started off with a warm fire coffee, OJ, scrambled eggs and sausage. Watched a group of hogs swim across the river then packed up and got on the water. We had another good day of fishing. Had to get out and walk the canoes through 6-8 shallow spots. Seen deer crossing the river and had a bald eagle that worked down the river with us. Guessing someone had a garage sale at one of the trees across a corner and we found a new unopened gallon of water. Which became our coffee and hot-coco the next morning. We paddled long enough to get us with 3-4 miles to finish up the next morning. Found another gravel island and set up camp. At this point it was starting to get cold for us. Also with getting in an out of the boat feet and legs where a little wet. So built a good fire and had a warm dinner. Everyone was tired and ready for bed tonight.

Monday morning was a damp and cold start. Hot-coco for the girls to get them warmed up and ready to finish the trip. We had a short paddle and another 5-6 shallow walks in the river. It's nice to get to the end and your truck is parked there and ready to go. Loaded up and was on the road home.

I took care of breakfast and dinner for the weekend. So I cooked the meals before hand, vacuum sealed and froze them. Then took a dutch oven and just heated by the fire. This year Emma and I had a new tent and sleeping pads. They work pretty good but still had sore back and hips in the morning. We escaped the rain for the whole weekend which I was glad because there was a 40% for 2 of the days. Ended up with just cool overcast days with the cold front coming in the last night. Boats that we took was a 17' Alumacraft Voyager, 17' Ouachita and a Wenonah Solo Plus. I believe the flow was around 80cfs. Total river mile was 20ish miles and the other two dad daughters did awesome! This was their first canoe camping trip. One the way home they where already planning the next trip for the spring.
IMG_1085[1].JPG IMG_1088[1].JPG IMG_1089[1].JPG IMG_1094[1].JPG IMG_1096[1].JPG IMG_1098[1].JPG IMG_1106[1].JPG IMG_1107[1].JPG IMG_1109[1].JPG IMG_1114[1].JPG IMG_1115[1].JPG IMG_1116[1].JPG IMG_1118[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1085[1].JPG
    IMG_1085[1].JPG
    589.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1088[1].JPG
    IMG_1088[1].JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1089[1].JPG
    IMG_1089[1].JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1094[1].JPG
    IMG_1094[1].JPG
    542.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1096[1].JPG
    IMG_1096[1].JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1098[1].JPG
    IMG_1098[1].JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1106[1].JPG
    IMG_1106[1].JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1107[1].JPG
    IMG_1107[1].JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1109[1].JPG
    IMG_1109[1].JPG
    523.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1114[1].JPG
    IMG_1114[1].JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1115[1].JPG
    IMG_1115[1].JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1116[1].JPG
    IMG_1116[1].JPG
    488.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1118[1].JPG
    IMG_1118[1].JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 0
Great that you got the girls out and introduced other people to canoe camping. I camped with my daughter a lot when she was younger, but I never could pull off a girls/dads trip. Her friends dads were good outdoor guys and all but mostly pretty motorized.

This is a high-class food container:
image_17893_crop.jpg

A bear would know better than to mess with that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17913.jpg Views:	5 Size:	127.3 KB ID:	119771 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17914.jpg Views:	4 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	119773
My congrats, it looks like you had a really good time. I took my daughter on her first canoe camping trip when she was 7. She sat on the floor of my Autumn Mist while I paddled us into the Adirondack backcountry, where we spent five wonderful days together. Last year we went back to the same place; she was 25 and married (my son-in-law accompanied us). We had another memorable time. This past summer it was the three of us again, but also with her new puppy. It is a great way to spend time together without all the distractions in our everyday lives. For me, this is what it is all about and they are experiences I will always treasure.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know your in and out points on that river. I have a friend in Frisco, Texas and we need to do something like this before we are too old.

Great that you got the girls out and introduced other people to canoe camping. I camped with my daughter a lot when she was younger, but I never could pull off a girls/dads trip. Her friends dads were good outdoor guys and all but mostly pretty motorized.

A bear would know better than to mess with that.

I would love one of those Texas buckets to put my Lugable Loo on it.;) Sorry I couldn't resist.

I had been debating on what to get for our dry storage. I was wanting some kind of "bear container" but for now settled on 5 gallon buckets with the screw on Gamma lids. Luckily we do not have bears in this area to worry about.

For me, this is what it is all about and they are experiences I will always treasure.

Yes Sir. I hope these stick with them in the future hoping that when they have a family that they can bring them on trips.

I'd be interested to know your in and out points on that river. I have a friend in Frisco, Texas and we need to do something like this before we are too old.

Larry, We dropped in on TX-16. There is a small parking spot on the edge on the bridge with a small boat ramp. Then took out at FM-4 at Rochelle's Canoe Rental. We brought our on gear and used Rochelle's for the shuttle. Mr. Rochelle has been there for quite some time.

This was an interesting read of a multiday down river camping trip on the Brazos.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...&psc=1&fpw=alm

That is a really good book for the area. I loved all the history stories. Then when you are on the river you can play the stories out.

Looks like just about a perfect trip. Thanks for sharing it.

I had been debating on what to get for our dry storage. I was wanting some kind of "bear container" but for now settled on 5 gallon buckets with the screw on Gamma lids. Luckily we do not have bears in this area to worry about.

I use the same approach, and it's worked well for me so far. We have black bears up here (Maine) but they mostly fear humans. However, I've never found any distinctive buckets like your Texas ones. I just have a boring white one with a warning box saying don't fill it with water and let the baby play in it ... roger that.

Back