• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

1947 Guided Allagash River Canoe Trip

Some of the old dams and structuresare gone.. The Lock Dam house looks the same.. The campsites are different! Don't think I have ever seen a deer on the Allagash. Only moose
Doesnt the two man carry look easier than the four?

A neat view of the times gone by.

That fish kill at the falls was obscene by today's standards.

One year there was a deer with a malformed set of antlers on Pillsbury Island that would come into the campsites to visit. The staff, (or maybe visitors), were feeding it I suspect. They gave it a name - can't remember right now - maybe Bozo or something like that. Cute little guy. I have seen only a few deer on the Allagash over the years - but you are correct, moose seem to be much more plentiful at least along the waterway.

Yea the house at Locke Dam looks just like it did a few years ago when I was last there.

The motors always bother me a bit. I guess it is one of the compromises they have to make make to keep everyone happy. It does take a bit of the "wildness" out of the trips in the area from my perspective.

Looks an awful lot like Lock Dam House..I never saw a house at Long Lake Dam.. nor much of a dam either. Its possible that each dam had a similar house.

There has not been a house at long lake dam that I can recall since my first trip in 1980. The house looks exactly like the house on Chamberlain at lock dam. I have a feeling thought that there may well have been a house at long lake dam back then. Not sure. Some of that movie is pretty hard to see.

11:58 House
14:11 Sign Leaving Long Lake Days Fishing
15:56 Sign Deer @ Conleaf Lake(?) (most likely Cunliffe Lake up Chemquasabamticook Stream)
17:53 Sign Leaving Long Lake for down stream
17:54 House

Annette Jackson in her book, "My Life in the Maine Woods" twice talks about having tea and ginger cookies with Ed Taylor, Dam tender @ Long Lake Dam, in his house.

Back