• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

16' Cedarwood Prospector

Reaction score
Todays new purchase, lightly used Prospector, canvas has had a couple poor repairs but nothing too serious.

IMG_0436

Sold my Cronje today for what I had in it, found this one shortly after.

The Prospector is a full 15" deep and as round on the bottom as any canoe I've seen.

Yes it looks very round in the picture. A very nice canoe though. I can hear Robin sighing from here...

Very nice, a #4 Duluth pack and a 16' Cedarwood Prospector in one week...I'll put a new canvas on it, not sure when you would see it again though.
Nice purchase, red too, which makes it fast.
Will you use it on the NB rivers? I have a 16 Chestnut Pal, but the 16' Prospector is what I'm looking for. Good for you and post some pictures of it on the trail this season.

Canvas canoes and the rivers I run generally don't make a good match. I took a new Atkinson Traveller down the St.Croix one year and ended up with 3 tears in the canvas, we don't just have rocks, we have sharp rocks and lots of them.
The Canvas on the prospector has a few battle wounds already, so I may be inclined to take it on a rocky river the next time I get out.
I don't like red canoes, kinda tempted to sand it all down, address the poor canvas repairs and paint it a proper GREEN as all canoes should be :)

No Title

nice boat! the bottom seems rounder on these than most prospectors that i've seen, sitting side-by side with a fiberglass nova-craft in the garage, it's very pronounced. not sure which is closer to the 'nut, tho i expect the nova-craft is. the cedarwood is much more, lets call it responsive, than the nova-craft, but also much better glide and acceleration from the seat of the pants...i know that carl jones used to put a warning in the literature about these boats about them being for experts...it's much twitchier empty, with a large sled-dog in the bow, but after a quick 3-day shakedown trip a few weekends ago, he's figuring it out. feels more like a high-volume cruiser than what i'm used to prospector wise...took him a while to adjust to the n/c prospector after putting around in a grumman too...heading to temagami in a few days for a week and half, i'm sure we'll have adjusted by then...

for the record, loaded it with a duluth #4dlx and a #3-20 on the last trip...

this boat was green when it was born in oromocto, and red is faster, but blue-grey is lighter...

and shows scratches less...

Attachments

• photo2642.JPG
    photo2642.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 0
There's often something I miss when initially looking over canvas canoes before I buy them, this one ends up being no different. Looked it over again last night and it would appear that the canvas will need to be replaced not just fixed. I'll get a couple trips out of it this year if I get out but I think i'll just go ahead and order a roll of canvas. I'll make it a fall / winter project out of it.

I'll be ordering a roll ( well 1/2 a roll) direct from wholesaler, way cheaper than getting it from the usual suppliers.I've made my own filler before using a modified version of one of the ones listed at wcha page. I don't feel like ordering silica again for a one time shot but i might. I also have a buddy nearby that basically has the Chestnut formula using white lead, may get him to make a batch for me.

Took the Cedarwood out for a test paddle, to my surprise, no leaks! :) Been a long time since I've been in anything other than a 17' Discovery 169 or Tripper. It was great paddling the "little" 16 footer. Unloaded it wasn't too bad but the Prospector design begs to be loaded with gear to perform as intended.

I've ordered canvas to replace the existing, but in the meantime I'll try to get it out on a trip or two in the next few months.

We usually buy a roll of canvas at a time from a fabric store...ends up costing us around $50 per canoe for three boats. We get silica flour from a ceramics/pottery supply place so maybe have a look around for one of them too. Again, you have to buy a lot more than you need for just one boat.

No Title

just wait until you drop a couple weeks worth of gear into it!

(yeah, i know the out-whales aren't quite done)

Attachments

• photo2711.JPG
    photo2711.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 0
The Cedarwood Prospector is a marvelous boat! I nearly bought one with a shelac bottom. It was a sweet boat, slow but man it paddled well, and was so well built - I still wish I would have pulled the trigger on that one. So good on ya - great looking canoe!

Bob. [h=2][/h]

Back