• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

11 days, 2 moose, big water, great weather....

Wow! I too would love to go on a trip like that. I'm no hunter but I could help out with other chores. Beautiful landscape. Thanks for sharing. Another bucket list trip.

Hahaha, hope you guys are not all coming the same year lol... That would be a busy trip and not sure my hunting/tripping partner would be happy!!

outstanding trip. awesome combo of skills put to the test. when you paddle is there any special case used for your gun or do you just rest it where you can?

what cold water gear clothing are you using?

thanks so much for sharing and Robin with the assist!

outstanding trip. awesome combo of skills put to the test. when you paddle is there any special case used for your gun or do you just rest it where you can?

what cold water gear clothing are you using?

thanks so much for sharing and Robin with the assist!

Hey Greenfrog, It was a great trip. I really like to put the different "skills" of canoe tripping into action on trips and this trip was one of the best even if we didn't get to pole. Not that I'm mastering any of the skills, but I'm getting better at it every year and it helps to get away from the crowd!!

As for cold water gear on that trip, I was using a pair of Kokatat Gortex bib with foot with pair of wool socks inside. On top of that I had a pair of Neosocks and my 5ten water tennie.

For the top, I was wearing a Kokatat dry top. the combination of the two is great for tripping, makes for a very versatile combo. The other guys were in dry suits.

For my hands, when needed, I use a set of canoe paddle poggies that are awesome!!

As for the riffle, I have a waterproof sleeve that bought in Alaska a log time ago, it look like a long dry bag, works good, easy to get in to get the gun out... look a bit like this one http://www.carlspurgeon.com/nomar-old/gunscabbard.htm but not as nice... I will get one like that for next season!

Hey Greenfrog, It was a great trip. I really like to put the different "skills" of canoe tripping into action on trips and this trip was one of the best even if we didn't get to pole. Not that I'm mastering any of the skills, but I'm getting better at it every year and it helps to get away from the crowd!!

As for cold water gear on that trip, I was using a pair of Kokatat Gortex bib with foot with pair of wool socks inside. On top of that I had a pair of Neosocks and my 5ten water tennie.

For the top, I was wearing a Kokatat dry top. the combination of the two is great for tripping, makes for a very versatile combo. The other guys were in dry suits.

For my hands, when needed, I use a set of canoe paddle poggies that are awesome!!

As for the riffle, I have a waterproof sleeve that bought in Alaska a log time ago, it look like a long dry bag, works good, easy to get in to get the gun out... look a bit like this one http://www.carlspurgeon.com/nomar-old/gunscabbard.htm but not as nice... I will get one like that for next season!

thank you, I'd like to expand my paddling and hunting into the colder seasons. ill be researching those items.

Greenfrog, A good alternative to the Kokatat dry bibs, are good "goretex" fishing waders, you can find them on sale all over the place and they usually have Neopren socks feet, that and your favorite pair of runners and you are good to go....

No Title

My dad got a moose too!! at the other end of the country lol. Not a big bull but should be delicious!!

Attachments

• photo8158.jpg
    photo8158.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1
Canot,

A great hunt and a great story!

I've driven the South Canol and fished Quiet Lake but never tried the Nisutlin River. Thanks for all the pics.......appreciated!

My Dad entered the Yukon via WPYR in 1942 and worked Canol Project. I have photos of him trail blazing the South Canol Road
while other crews were starting from Norman Wells. True wilderness in there!

I really like your Ruger #1!

Canot,

A great hunt and a great story!

I've driven the South Canol and fished Quiet Lake but never tried the Nisutlin River. Thanks for all the pics.......appreciated!

My Dad entered the Yukon via WPYR in 1942 and worked Canol Project. I have photos of him trail blazing the South Canol Road
while other crews were starting from Norman Wells. True wilderness in there!

I really like your Ruger #1!

Wow that is crazy that your dad was one that opened the Canol!! Must have been epic in there int he 40's

I really like that rifle, not much the trigger on it, but over all I like that gun a lot anything better than that would be a Brno 12 gauge/30-06 combo!!

I'm glad to see this thread up again as I sit here planning a summer that may be difficult at best.

I've been a moose hunter for over a half century and It's great to hear another's stories.

If you haven't hunted moose, breaking down a big bull in the water is a real PIA.

In the North, the fall mantra is "Get my moose and then get the wood cut."

That is for sure in our family! Roughly 780cubic feet of fire wood every year and hopefully a moose between 2 families, 250lbs of dressed meet is pretty much our minimum for the year each family!

I'm glad to see this thread up again as I sit here planning a summer that may be difficult at best.

I've been a moose hunter for over a half century and It's great to hear another's stories.

If you haven't hunted moose, breaking down a big bull in the water is a real PIA.

It was a trip of a life time, probably never to happen again, or at least no time soon! But it is getting harder and harder to find spots where you gonna be by your self, lots of people everywhere these days, people with a lot more "power" than we have, jet boats, Argos, side by sides, quads, etc etc, People that drive those things all over the land with out giving a crap about the stuff they destroy!!

anyway, we just need to get up stream and add a portage or two and all the sudden they are a lot less of those idiots!

It was a trip of a life time, probably never to happen again, or at least no time soon! But it is getting harder and harder to find spots where you gonna be by your self, lots of people everywhere these days, people with a lot more "power" than we have, jet boats, Argos, side by sides, quads, etc etc, People that drive those things all over the land with out giving a crap about the stuff they destroy!!

anyway, we just need to get up stream and add a portage or two and all the sudden they are a lot less of those idiots!

Yup, a portage or two will sort em out.

My more recent drives to quiet Lake and on to Pelly Crossing didn't indicate a lot of moose sign but it may be
better further back in the bush.

You've got my envy for beautiful waterways and better canoe country. Enjoy it!

Back