• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

10 Day Voyage With a Fiberglass Canoe...1994 MR Sunrunner

DIY ROOF RACK ON ASTRO VAN: (having trouble attaching link to earlier post/details but search for "Astro Van Canoe Rack" if interested)
No issues in 754 miles. Opted not to install gunwale stops however brought along clamps just in case. We drove through some wind and turbulent blasts when meeting logging trucks however the canoe never shifted a cm or seemed to want to go aerial. My thoughts on this are the canoe sits so close to the van roof it it minimises any lift. To be honest, I think the van becomes more aerodynamic with the canoe on top as (being virtually a box) it seemed to drift less going down the highway. Wish I would've checked, but possibly even got better gas mileage than without canoe??? However...Sitting that close to the roof top did interfere with the portage pads which needed removal.

SLUG AFTER BEING ROLLED UP INTO WET TENT:
See photo

That's about all I know. Thanks everyone for letting me revel in my adventure(s).

PEACE

Micah

Attachments

• photo12479.jpg
    photo12479.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo12480.jpg
    photo12480.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 1
Micah, happy to hear that the Sunrunner worked out to be a keeper.

So, are you now looking for another used classic, maybe a solo?

Thanks Mike.
6 months ago I was actively looking for a solo however spent my "fun money" on packs, seats, yoke pads, etc. Doesn't mean I've stopped window shopping however. Just torn as to what to do as my son is excited to go with a buddy next year and not so certain they should take my boat as his buddy is small-ish and some of this year's portages really challenged us knowing more like that are out there. Renting is $ out the window as deals do come up often.

The classics definitely speak to me as I like the build quality and price.

Just torn as to what to do as my son is excited to go with a buddy next year and not so certain they should take my boat as his buddy is small-ish and some of this year's portages really challenged us knowing more like that are out there.

Not sure which “next canoe” direction you would want to go. Would you have the secret to success 6’5” farm boy to help tote the Sunrunner and gear load along with your son and friend?

Maybe pair the Sunrunner with a “pocket” tandem for your son and the lightweight, especially if that second canoe was something you could also handle solo bow backwards for future use.

Renting is $ out the window as deals do come up often. The classics definitely speak to me as I like the build quality and price.

I have faith that you will turn up a smaller classic to fill the next niche. Fall and winter are not bad times to keep an eye out, fewer people looking to buy a canoe, more time to do any repairs or outfitting.

I’m not on Facebook but friends report more and more used canoe deals being found on (?) Facebook Marketplace. Or on Craigslist, but posted in the “Sporting Goods” section instead of under “Boats”.

You could put proper Dynel skid plates on both boats at the same time ;-)

. Fall and winter are not bad times to keep an eye out, fewer people looking to buy a canoe, more time to do any repairs or outfitting.

Up north I always found fall was the best time to buy canoes and winter one of the worst. People are motivated to sell in the fall when they won't be using it anymore and are faced with the task of storing it somewhere for the winter. But once they do get it stored it's going to stay there until spring when they aren't quite so motivated to sell it knowing they can use it all summer and then sell it in the fall before they have to store it away for another season.

Alan

I'm getting hints from my son (18) he wants to lead the next trip. Meaning no adults. Definitely bittersweet for me but I trust him. Heck...When I was 14 the adults sent us "cousins" off into the woods on 3-wheelers with each our own 20-ga (from gramps) and enough lead shot to pollute all of MN and parts of WI. Little did they know we stole their wine coolers too. Those were the days...

As for my personal giant..."He's all mine. I'll never share!!" Did I say that out loud???

Great suggestions on addl. canoe options. Just learned he is thinking about 2 friends. Another consideration but makes me feel a bit safer having 3 of them. One twists an ankle and the situation is less dire. Maybe I can find a Lamoille? There was a hybrid layup for sale last year.

Fall does seem to pick up around here for canoe deals no doubt.

That MR Northwoods looks promising but seems a tad heavy for a kevlar build?? Maybe I sound picky but actually just broke as of the moment. Need to sell off another hobby to finance the next canoe...or...take out a loan to buy the Sunrunner's minnie-me.

(Hope the link below works)

Thanksomuch guys!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...948576710.html

Last edited:
Great. Another Indy a thousand miles away. Did they ever ship one out west? :(

Great TR! Looks like a good time.

Great. Another Indy a thousand miles away. Did they ever ship one out west? :(

Great TR! Looks like a good time.

Thanks. Definitely the best of times. Out of curiosity are you in the market for one or do you have one already?

Out of curiosity are you in the market for one or do you have one already?

I will chime in before Steve has a chance. We have a VT era glass Independence, and it is a fine lake solo tripper or day boat for the right person and right load. MRC catalog specs:

15’ 8” long
28.5 at gunwales
29” at 4” waterline (which is about max width as well)
11 ¾” deep center, 19” bow, 17” stern
Efficient load capacity 350 lbs
44 lbs in glass, 35-ish in various kevlars/airex
Symmetrical shallow vee with slight rocker

The Indy is a wonderful solo canoe, my wife’s all time favorite open solo. Surprising stable at my height and weight, especially after I lowered the seat (OEM attached at the stern directly to the inwale, canted 1” lower in front) by an inch all around, and added a foot brace.

Micah, the Indy is another Mad River classic, and fortunately (deservedly, perhaps market demandedly) Mad Rive made quite a few. Production ran through 2003-ish, and I’d take another Indy, especially a Vermont built boat, in a heartbeat.

Like my dreams of MRC bringing back a composite Guide as a downriver solo I wish they would reintroduce a modern materials vacuum bagged Independence.

Thanks Mike. This is what I was after to further gain understanding of "good" boats. Won't buy this one listed on C.L. but will keep eyes open for a cheaper one.

Found this on C.L. as well https://stcloud.craigslist.org/boa/d/saint-cloud-wenonah-16-fiberglass-canoe/6975183066.html

And this...
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/d/erhard-16-kevlar-wabash-valley-merlin/6974723352.html

Both were listed all summer long and I did a bit of earlier research which was fruitless for the Wenonah/Jensen (as it is listed) as could not find anything on a 16 footer. No doubt this is just as heavy as my Sunrunner so nothing I am wanting/needing unless any of you guys think this is something special?? Have yet to look into the Merlin as it is too rich for me as of current. Curious however...

Wabash Valley was Ted Bell’s company before Bell Canoe. Some (many?) of the Wabash canoes were inspired by or designed as racing canoes.

I have no idea if the Wabash Merlin is anything like the Bell Merlin. The photo perspective makes it hard to tell much about the design.

"Bueller...Bueller..."

Gen-Xers get this.

I may go look tomorrow. If anyone knows anything specific I should photo or measure, lemeknow. Thanx. Definitely not a sweet solo but I have this kind of coin in the cookie jar. Might make a nice boat for my folk's cabin.

A precise length overall and width at the rails (probably same as max width for that boat) would be most useful. If the serial number plate is still there, the last two digits are the year of manufacture. The ad says early 1970's but it wouldn't surprise me if it's 80's. (But those seats are, uh, groovy.)

You know how it is with Craigslist facts and figures. When I bought my Sawyer Cruiser it was advertized as some other model.

If the boat is really 17' there are a lot of things it could be. Here are the specs on the 17 and 18 Jensens, and the Sundowners and Spirit II. (Thanks to "Han Solo" in another forum.) If it's really 16', maybe an Aurora (smaller Spirit II)?

Rib damage looks pretty minor ... "I've Had Worse".

HANSSOLO-040413-214924.JPG
HANSSOLO-150318-204220.JPG

Attachments

• HANSSOLO-040413-214924.JPG
    HANSSOLO-040413-214924.JPG
    874.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HANSSOLO-150318-204220.JPG
    HANSSOLO-150318-204220.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 0
Guess we'll never know as CL ad was removed between last night and now. Hopefully someone here scored a nice deal. Thanks goonstroke.

Back