• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Cutting Strips with a Skillsaw

I wanted to revisit this post as again, I'd like to add more information.

In the video you can see how the saw base is riding on the plank.
What do you do when you get closer to the end of the plank, and the saw base wants to teeter totter ?
I lay another plank, of the same thickness. on the other side, away from the saw.

IMG_0288_zpstk1jfysm.jpg

I will add more pics to this thread, to provide more detail, making it better to share outside this site.

A 5 gal bucket makes a handy place for your saw. Keeps the blade out of the dirt also

IMG_0281_zpsoxusqebj.jpg

The fence for your saw needs to be less in height, than the thickness of your planks, to avoid bumping the cleats on your Strongback.

IMG_0281_zpsoxusqebj.jpg

A Caliper works great to set the gap. Accuracy here will produce strips that are ready to go without planing to thickness !

IMG_0281_zpsoxusqebj.jpg
I Highly recommend bead and coving your strips.

Any brand Skilsaw will work fine. Get at least a 13 amp saw.
A Freud Diablo blade is the best I've found and inexpensive.
Note the Visegrip. It doubles as a clamp and convenient handle.( Keeping your hand away from the Blade.

IMG_0281_zpsoxusqebj.jpg

Using the Strongback as compared to a Tablesaw, for cutting wide 1X stock.

It takes up half the room. no infeed, or outfeed tables required. No power feed necessary. Also can be easily done outside , reducing dust in the shop.

It's much easier to walk back and forth with the Skilsaw, than walking the plank !

Again a very accurate method.

As with any time power tools are used ! Exercise Caution ! I offer this method, because it has worked great for me. I have no control how others may use this method.

I hope this helps others easily produce uniform strips as it has done for me the past 30 yrs.

Jim

Back